Buying Dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Graeme A, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Graeme A macrumors 6502

Graeme A

Aug 6, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia

I am currently debating with myself whether to upgrade my current Mac set-up from a 17" PB 1Ghz with a old style 20" LCD to a 2Ghz dual G5.

I will be using the Adobe CS products as well as the usual Office stuff, and want to start looking at doing some video editting on FCE/P... The Production Suite has a good looking price tag (EDU)...

Is it possible to run FCE/P on the PB G4 with 1Gb of RAM or does it really need to be tricked out with 2Gb to get any use out of it.

My only real concern with upgrading is the extra cost that buying in Australia seems to have... I would love to buy a new G5 on my way back through LA but I wouldn't like to have a G5 that I couldn't get any Applecare or support on (AC seems to be local to country you buy it in...)

I'm really looking for excuses to use to persuade the boss (wife) to let me spend some serious money on new kit.

Any Aussies out there have information on a good dealer in the Melbourne region?

2. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    United States
    I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I have a 12" 1Ghz PB with 768 MB of RAM and a 200GB External 7200 RPM HD and it runs FCE with ease. It's not slow or anyhting. I haven't used Adobe CS, but my guess is it would run fine too...