Buying emac today - iLife '05 question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Manzana, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

Well I'm buying the kids an emac today. I'm going for a 999 model so I can use SD myself!

I guess iLife '05 comes as an update cd, my question is has anyone had any experience updating their other mac systems with this cd? I have a 15" PB 1.33 and it would be nice to use the iLife '05 cd from my new emac.

Any suggestions?

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Well, you're not supposed to do that, but you'll have no problem doing it.

3. vieoray macrumors regular

im betting you wont get an iLife update cd. iMacs are now shipping with iLife and the latest version of OS X already installed, so its more than likely the eMacs are as well.

4. cyanide macrumors regular

cyanide

to simply answer your question, i did this on the family emac, and it worked flawlessly. be sure to grab the 5.0.1 updaters to iphoto and imovie. have fun with your new mac!

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

be aware that emacs are long over due an update, and it'd work out cheaper if you bought a mini and a nice 17" CRT at current pricing.

6. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Ye, I would feel slightly reluctant to get an eMac right now. It's a year old, they should at leat reduce the price.

7. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

I think it is funny how Mac users are so obsessed with not buying for fear of an upcoming update. PC users don't experience this same anxiety. They sort of expect that theirs will be updated with a few months at most. Ever since I bought a Mac I've read person after person who says ... they're due for an update soon or wait for Tiger, it'll be out next month. The truth is, no one here really knows. If we hold back because of that we will never end up buying the computer. Here's my unsolicited advice ... if you need one get one. If you can wait, then you don't really need one right now, do you? If you do end up waiting rest assured your "whatever" book will be updated in less than a year (every 6 months or so). My iBook was updated last Spring and also in October (when I ended up buying it). I've had PCs that have lasted 4+ years without warranting a complete update and I'm sure Macs have a longer life than I plan on keeping it for anyway. I'll want something new before my system is completely obsolete.

The other obsession I've noticed is the powerbook users against the ibook users. Everytime some ibook users posts a question about an update the powerbook users come out woodwork saying ... it'll be too close the powerbook, they won't let that happen. At best, I'd say they're being protective of their investment. At worst, they have their fingers crossed and hope it doesn't happen so they can continue to justify their purchase. Whether you are ibook or powerbook, please take no offense. Continue reading ... I like them all!

In the end, buy what you need when you need it. The bottom line is, you are buying a Mac product and you will really enjoy it, whatever it ends up being. Once you buy it, you too will be concerned with when they will upgrade it and whether they will introduce something in another line that is better than yours. It's more than just the machine you purchase. You're buying a complete package, software and machine. You'll be happy no matter which way you end up going. It will work and it will work well.

8. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

If there's no CD, what happens if you need to re-install everything?! Say, a HD crash or HD replacement...

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

it's ont he software restore CD, because i'm too lazy to use the software resote CD's on my ibook and i just used plain OS x cd's i lost appleworks, otto matic and world book, i have updated version of all the apps so it dosent much matter to me.

10. jbrjake macrumors member

That's ridiculous. People aren't just waiting forever because they enjoy waiting or whatever it is you're arguing. Your hyperbole just makes your argument look silly--people with money to burn, patiently waiting for Apple to update their product lines, are quite definitely not going to "never end up buying the computer." When there's only one vendor in the market place, smart consumers know to get the most for their money. That means paying attention to update cycles. If you were really into a particular high-end brand of car, no one would say it was funny if you waited a month or two in order to get a 2006 model over a 2005.

I don't understand why you want people to throw their money away on outdated, obsolete material. Sure, after awhile, any computer is obsolete. But since Macs aren't updates as frequently as PCs due to non-existent competition, a Mac takes longer to go obsolete—however, the other side of that equation is that once they do, the update tends to be a quantum leap.

Telling someone it's a great idea to get an eMac right now--*even as Apple is taking them off their store shelves*--isn't giving someone good buying advice.

Are you for real? If so, you're totally misinterpreting those discussions. They aren't piss-contents over whose computer is better, it's about looking at the calendar! Maybe you're new to Macs or something, but anyone who's been paying attention to Apple since Steve Jobs tooks back the reins knows that the company is really big into product differentiation. They are very afraid of cannibalizing the sales of one line with another, and EXTREMELY protective of their product margins. These pressures merely increase as Apple's buzz and stock price swell. Apple's problem is that the iBook is a sturdier portable machine which they make less money off of. That means they try to attract people to the PowerBooks, on which they make off with mad $$$. That is why the PowerBooks got the modest update they did. It cost Apple nearly nothing but did paint some clear lines between portable brands. Bumping up the iBooks this quickly would break that boundary, which means less profits for Apple. They would do this because...?

Please tell me how any of this is me trying to justify a purchase. Note that I don't have one of the new PowerBooks.

That's exactly how NOT to go about it. Pay attention to all of that stuff BEFORE you buy. Perform your due diligence and do your research. But once you purchase, enjoy what you have and stop concerning yourself with updates. What's the point of that, so you can masochistically drool at features you'll never see?

11. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

At the moment eMacs are being shipped with a separate iLife 05 CD. Apple has not yet installed them on the eMacs. Its a package that sits right on top of the instructions.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Legally speaking the iLife '05 that comes with eMac is for that machine only. That is why Apple sells the family Pack, can use for up to 5 Mac's.

13. Manzana thread starter macrumors 6502a

Manzana

just an update

I bought the emac and iLife '05 install cd and dvd were in the box so I was able to install them.

emac is a great machine. I think there is a market for CRT out there. I didn't want the kids poking the screen on the iMac, or much less knock the iMac over (theyre 4, 6, and 8). Hell, they can't even move the emac and I don't care if they put their hands all over the screen. I had the same fear if I bought the mini, they would just launch it all over.