Buying experience! Pah! Give me back my PC!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by agrashion, Oct 3, 2006.

1. agrashion macrumors newbie

As a would-be Mac convert I must say Apple make it really difficult to swap!

I get back from holiday, spend half an hour getting my PC to start, get forced to download X critical updates and I snap! A new machine - in fact now those slinky 24" iMacs are out I'll have one of those.

That's where the problems start - firstly because I have had the temerity to upgarde memory and disk I see it takes 5 days to build this configuration. Secondly I'm paying a 300 GBP premium for living somewhere other than the US and apparently my machine will be shipped direct from Shanghai (?) which will take between 4 and 11 days!

Come on guys - at some point this isn't my problem it's Apple's - actually that point is immediately after I placed the order! The weak and unhelpful customer service staff left me under no illusion who the whole system works for - Apple, not me the consumer.

I'm really disappointed with this - I hope it's all worth it but I can't honestly recommend this experience to any of my PC breatheren, not when I can order a custom built PC to my exact specification and have it delivered in 5 days with a 3 year onsite warranty (even Dell would do a better job!). I work in the PC security industry for a large networking vendor and if we made our customers to go through this performance we'd be out of business damn quick .

2. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I helped a friend build a HP desktop a while back. It took 14 days to build, shipped from El Paso (they are built in Mexico, go through customs and picked up by UPS in El Paso). The standard shipping, that wasn't free, took almost 14 days.

This is not an Apple problem. This is a consumer electronics problem. Not to mention that Shanghai is a long way away.

As far as the price differential. Everything is more expensive for you in the UK than in America. We could discuss global politics and economic theory until the cows come home in an attempt to explain this. This is just the way it is.

3. agrashion thread starter macrumors newbie

My company operates a global price-list - why doesn't Apple?

4. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I must say Apple does make you wait a good amount of time if you make any configuration changes. Plus, if you change anything from the stock config, you really get the run around if you have any problems. Been there and done that.. never again! I will be sticking to stock configs in the future.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Don't be fooled by US prices... they don't include sales tax. Ours include VAT at 17.5%.

A small amount of research would have revealed the folly of asking Apple to upgrade the RAM on cost grounds alone. You've got to remember that Apple is not dealing or geared up to deal with the volume as other generic PC manufacturers do, hence the longer turn-arounds.

I understand your frustration but that's just the way it is. You have to see ordering custom configs from Apple as, say ordering a custom-config TV or something similar. Attempting to compare an iMac with a Dell is a fruitless exercise.

Must say our corporate orders for standard-configured pro machines came through within days from Ireland. We handled our upgrades ourselves at our end, installing RAM and extra drives within minutes.

6. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Not sure where you get the £300 difference.
    Know that US online prices are minus sales and local taxes whereas UK prices are inclusive of 17.5% VAT.
    Strip out the VAT from the UK prices and compare again and you should find it somewhat more equitable.
    Vanilla

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

And more importantly, why are you telling us?

8. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

As a fellow UK user, I'd have to agree with most of what you say. However, even though my 24" had a little but immensely irritating issue with a rubbing fan, and had to go back, I'd happily go through the DOA process 5 times if it meant a perfect experience for years to come. Now that is priceless.

David

9. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Becasue they can.

10. KevKaos macrumors 6502

This guy has exactly two postings as of this moment when I checked. Wouldn't you know that they would both be in this thread? Just gotta love the noob that comes barging into a well established forum slinging venom about a products that 99% of the other users love.

My advice is that you should return your Mac to Apple and go buy a Dell. Maybe then you will be happy. Probably not, because you wouldn't have anything to bitch about. On second thought, yes you would, because you would be stuck using a Windows PC. hehehehehehe

11. agrashion thread starter macrumors newbie

Surely a forum is there to promote discussion - feel free to not comment.

12. agrashion thread starter macrumors newbie

Gosh - sorry - I didn't know you're not allowed to express an opinion because you're new to a forum? But surely that's what Apple wants to promote?

Grow up mate.

13. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Its not about expression of opinion, its about repeating patterns, a newby signs up, slings a lot of anti apple propaganda and leaves, effectively disrupting the flow of a very peacefull and helpfull forum. I agree that going any BTO options on any mac takes forever, but at least you have it!

Tell me, how do you expect us to react? You come here and tell us the product we prefer sucks? Chill mate, chill. :D

14. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Feel free to point out the discussion as I'm having difficulty identifying it through the flames.

If by "express an opinion" you mean posting a closed-ended thread stating the concrete conclusions you draw from a situation without asking any questions, requesting any advice, or in any way actually starting a conversation, then yes, you are not allowed to do that.

15. risc macrumors 68030

risc

OP are you complaining that it takes 5 days to customise your order? Are you also complaining that things cost more than they do in the US?

- You just described every single tier 1 computer hardware company in the world. :rolleyes:

16. ozontheroad macrumors 6502

ozontheroad

The difference is actually GBP 89 before tax.

Chill... chill

17. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Actually, it sounds to me that your problems started when you had trouble working on your PC.

It took Dell three weeks to ship my configured desktop. It took Apple a week and a half to ship my configured iBook. The Dell was from TN (a State away), and the iBook was made in Asia. What part of supply and demand don't you get? Anyways, have fun complaining that the world doesn't revolve around you.

18. M. Johansson macrumors newbie

I've ordered multiple computers directly from Dell and Apple (slightly more from Dell) and in my limited experience, Apple is a little faster. I'm in Sweden, by the way.

That's not to say that I'm happy with the mail order experience of apple, but it's better than my average online computer purchase.

edit: btw, build time is mostly exaggarated by apple, in my experience - I was told my computer would take 8 days to configure, but was actually sent to me 3 days after I placed the order, and arrived at my place 4 working days after that.

19. KevKaos macrumors 6502

Thank you for understanding the point I was trying to make. It is getting so crazy with the slander of Macs by noobs, that you can't help but wonder if they misguided, uninformed, childish individuals or if there is some sort of concerted effort by people unnamed in the PC world. HMMMMMM.

I wish I had said that. Very well put and 100% acurate. Bravo.

20. nihilisticmonk macrumors 6502

nihilisticmonk

I'm in week 3 of an estimated 4 week build process for my new mac-pro, and it is frustrating that I'm having to wait this length of time...

It is a custom build, bluetooth, wifi, and x1900 graphics card, but jesus...these are just clip on parts, it's not rocket science.

I've been an apple fan for some time, but i have to admit, I wouldn't have to wait 4 weeks for a dell.

People can comment all they want with such fanboy comments as "Get your dell then", but the fact remains, waiting 4 weeks for a product sucks...it's a pretty unreasonable length of time.

21. Lincoln macrumors regular

Lincoln

This has been my experience too. A refurb MacBook Pro I ordered had a build time of 8 days and then 3 days delivery. It was there the next day (in fact, it took less than 24 hours).

I find that most BTO orders (that I have placed) take around 1 week from order to delivery.

22. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Apple's ordering is the way it is. Sure, it's not Dell in the ordering stakes, but in my experience it's hardly disasterous. There is certainly room for improvement but the situation is not as bad as the OP makes out - though I completely understand how frustrating it is waiting for new kit.

The end result is entirely worth it :)

23. nihilisticmonk macrumors 6502

nihilisticmonk

Yeh, every refurb from apple I've ever got has arrived quickly. Much quicker than the 11 days usually quoted.

My Mac Pro's scheduled delivery date is Friday the 13th of October....can't get more ominous than that!:eek:

24. brikeh macrumors 6502a

brikeh

Everytime someone comes on this forum and says something negative about Apple he/she gets called a troll and people start counting posts...Ridiculous. Apple make mistakes and they are not perfect.

25. donbadman macrumors regular

why only 1 year warranty though? it's doesn't put much faith in the build quality in my opinion, (even though i know it'll be better than most) all macs should come with 3 years hardware warranty as standard with the option to pay extra for the phone support.

Some people on this forum and in mac land in general have a 'faith' in the company that borders on religious extremism constantly gunning anyone who expresses a reasonable opionion, it seems crazy and biased to me and is mostly based on faith not reason...