Buying external speakers, have question.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by job, Jul 2, 2002.

1. job macrumors 68040

job

Hi all. I'm planning on buying a set of external speakers for my new tower. The requirement is that they have to be a 4.1 setup and about 150 to 200 dollars. I found a very nice speaker set at the Apple store for $149. The same set is going for $200 everywhere else I've looked, even the manufacturers website. It is made by Logitech and I was wondering if anyone has had any experince with this particular speaker set-up or if they could suggest an alternative.

thanks in advance

here's a pic :
    [​IMG]

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Cambridge Soundworks...

The Microworks system is selling for $149 and is kick ASS!!

If you want even more window shattering power, you could try the MegaWorks 210D system.

They also offer up a 4.1 system called the FPS20000 Digital system, which sells for $100.

They have more then a few options, all of which produce excellent sound for the money. Any of the three I list above will perform way above what you would think. If there is a Cambridge SoundWorks store near you, I suggest going there to see how they really sound in person. They do have a 45 day customer satisfaction policy, so you really do have nothing to loose. Except your hearing of course. :D

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i've got a pair of Altec Lansing speakers. got them on sale over here for $100 and they are LOUD.

4. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Thanks for the advice, but do you have to buy them direct from them? Also, do you have to have a physical sound card like the Soundblaster Live! audio card to use those speakers? Also, just a random observation, the Logitech 4.1 speaker setup from my first post is "THX Certified." I have absolutly no idea what that means. (I do know what THX, just not why they are "certified") :rolleyes:

hitman

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You can use the CSW speakers on any system, no additional hardware required. You don't need to get a special sound card for them. They have sale prices from them, direct, which might be better then you can get through other places. Without knowing where you are, if there is a shop close to you, just schlep to it and grab them. If there isn't, you can oder them online. Also, check your local computer shops, some could carry those speakers.

Look at the spec's via the links I provided... I am pretty sure they are all dolby such and such, and probably the THX thingy too... Consideing how my surround sound system from them is EAX certified (which I believe/think is the next level up), they will rock.

6. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

cheers mate. I'll consider the CSW speakers as the reviews I have read are good and my friend's speakers (also CSW) kick @ss when playing RtCW. That CSW 4.1 system looks really good right now..... :D

hitman

7. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

in order to get 4.1 sound out of a computer you will need an aftermarket soundcard like an m-audio audiophile. stay away from the soundblaster live card as they have no osx support.... and never will.

good luck.

C-

8. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

the TiBooks speakers really make you appreciate a good sound system. the TiBook speakers are very good, especially for a laptop. they're pretty loud for their size, but theres nothing like a good sub!!:D

9. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

10. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Thanks mate. I'll read the review and give it some thought.

hitman

11. BiggeeC macrumors regular

Pro speakers....

...Just curious about this. How are the Apple Pro SPeakers? Do they do a good job, or do I HAVE to go out and get some good ones when I buy my Mac?

Chris

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You don't HAVE to go out and get any speakers. I have not tried the Apple Pro Speakers, but I KNOW that CSW makes excellent speakers and don't charge you a small fortune. I have a few sets of them, and they ROCK!

I was playing a game a while back (Commanche 4 on the game tower) and my downstairs neighbor came up and asked me to turn off the speakers since the base went right down into his place. It was keeping him up. Just so you know, my living room is right above his, which is at the back of the house. His bedroom is under my kitchen, which is at the front of the house. I didn't even have them turned up all that much either. :D

13. King Cobra macrumors 603

I have the Pro Speaks. for the Cube at home and the sound quality is alright. I actually hear more with the speakers that come with the iPod. I mean, if you are low on money I would recommend something cheap from CSW. Personally, I have requested the FPS2000 from my father for my 17th year. I'll have to wait until a little later to see if I get what I want. :cool:

14. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

yeah.. i agree... i think, though, that the apple speakers are realyl really good, but they have to be positioned right -- they sound great when i have them above the ear level and directed towards me...

however, you will always get better sound out of more speakerz...

good luck!

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

FW, what do you mean above the ear level? Are you talking about positioning the speakers actually above your ears? I know of very few people, who have computers and their speakers above them, while they "claim" to enjoy the sound coming out of them.

When I listen to music, if I really want sound that comes as close as possible to a woofer, I go into iTunes and create a new Equalizer setting. What I did was turn the db dial all the way down; then I turned the left- and right-most EQ dials all the way up. I kept the 2nd most L/R dials a little lower than that, the 3rd most L/R much lower, the 4th most L/R even lower, and the 2 middle dials as low as they go. Then I put on a song with lots of bass and turn the volume way up. It's amazing. But that's with the Pro Speakers. I can't wait for 4.1! :eek:

16. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

I just wish H/K made a 4.1 Soundstick set-up with the iSub. :(

17. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

I don't like the Logitech at all.

I like the Cambridge, they are much better,,

AlphaTech is right again!

I think that the APPLE pro speaker SUCK in comparison.

As for the iSub and the sticks, Stay away form those babies, there are a lot of things wrong with them.

18. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

ok you wont get 4.1 sound out of a power mac unless you get a PCI sound card. If you run 4 speakers then you'll have 2 left channel and 2 right channel stereo sound. SO if youre not going to go for a sound card (which is hard to find a nice one for OSX for under $200) then i recommend getting the Pro Media 2.1 system for under $200 You cant go wrong with that.

19. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Do you know any sound cards for the Mac other than the Soundblaster Live! card which apparently sucks? I'm really interested in a 4.1 system, so I guess I would have to get a PCI sound card.