Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
OK, so I can afford to wait before upgrading and I'm waiting until Leopard comes out before I buy a MBP. However, is buying a new OS when it is first released a bad idea, as all the issues may not be worked out? Or will Apple just provide software updates to fix any issues that still remain?

Edit: Just realised, this is the wrong forum for this question. Sorry....

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Apple will provide software updates to fix any bugs. I'd recommend if you use the system for business purposes to hold off on upgrading until at least 10.5.1 if not 10.5.2. If, however, you don't mind the system being buggy at first, the major bugs will be fixed with the first update...hopefully. :)

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
tobefirst said:
Apple will provide software updates to fix any bugs. I'd recommend if you use the system for business purposes to hold off on upgrading until at least 10.5.1 if not 10.5.2. If, however, you don't mind the system being buggy at first, the major bugs will be fixed with the first update...hopefully. :)

thanks tobefirst. If I get the 10.5.0 distro when it first comes out, when subsequently 10.5.1 is released will I be able to download it and it will automatically upgrade my system to 10.5.1? Or do I have to do a complete reinstall?

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
kdum8 said:
thanks tobefirst. If I get the 10.5.0 distro when it first comes out, when subsequently 10.5.1 is released will I be able to download it and it will automatically upgrade my system to 10.5.1? Or do I have to do a complete reinstall?

Nah well first of all I've never had any major problems using the first releases of new OS X version (panther, tiger, jaguar, etc) and Apple constantly releases update which are a snap to install.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
It works just like any other Apple OS X update- you download it via Software Update, and install it. Your computer reboots, and you're all set.

If we'd had to pay for every little 10.4.x update, we'd be angry :) There've been 3 since I got my MBP.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I would wait till .2 update. When I transitioned to Tiger, I waited till it became 4.2. I would do the same with Leopard (unless I read raving reviews from the actual users on 5.0 version).

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
YS2003 said:
I would wait till .2 update. When I transitioned to Tiger, I waited till it became 4.2. I would do the same with Leopard (unless I read raving reviews from the actual users on 5.0 version).

But why would you wait for .2 when you can just download the updates as they are available? Surely that's the same difference only you are getting Leopard earlier?

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
kdum8 said:
But why would you wait for .2 when you can just download the updates as they are available? Surely that's the same difference only you are getting Leopard earlier?

Indeed, what is this world were "rev a" products are supposed to be unusable (and users assume they are).

maycontainnutz

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2006
it's not like Leopard is gonna blow up or anything... the software updates will fix the bugs, until then it's still going to be running good

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
kdum8 said:
Because the first one would be buggy. By waiting till the new OS gets to the .2 version, you could reduce the # of bugs. I prefer not to stuck with a buggy OS waiting for the updates hoping to get those bugs fixed.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
YS2003 said:
Because the first one would be buggy. By waiting till the new OS gets to the .2 version, you could reduce the # of bugs. I prefer not to stuck with a buggy OS waiting for the updates hoping to get those bugs fixed.

I take your point sir, but I don't see that it makes so much difference. If you need/want Leopard, just buy it when it comes out. Any bugs there happen to be will be remidied with time. It isn't like a Rev A Hardware distribution, where upgrading isn't so easy.
I don't see Leopard being so buggy that it is unusable. The only time I would perhaps wait is if you are perfectly happy with your current setup, which you may well be. Otherwise in my situation, where I don't even have a mac yet, I see it makes little difference. :p

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
kdum8 said:
I take your point sir, but I don't see that it makes so much difference. If you need/want Leopard, just buy it when it comes out. Any bugs there happen to be will be remidied with time. It isn't like a Rev A Hardware distribution, where upgrading isn't so easy.
I don't see Leopard being so buggy that it is unusable. The only time I would perhaps wait is if you are perfectly happy with your current setup, which you may well be. Otherwise in my situation, where I don't even have a mac yet, I see it makes little difference. :p
However, if you use the machine to earn money, dealing with bugs and even slight incompatibilities can cost money. The urge might be there to upgrade due to the new features, but if you're looking for a safe, stable system, and it's one that you can't afford to have any downtime on, it's best to wait until AT LEAST the first point release, if not later.

So buggy that it's unusable? Of course not. Buggy enough to be a PITA when trying to work through a work day? Perhaps....it sure won't be perfect right off the bat.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
tobefirst said:
....it sure won't be perfect right off the bat.
It's strange how we accept this as normal. I can't think of anything else you'd buy on the understanding it probably won't work perfectly. Maybe chicken and egg: do Apple/MS release their software too early because they see we aren't too fussed?

TaylorB

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2006
This is sort of off-topic, but I was wondering if you guys think all the current Tiger users will get a discount for Leopard. Thank you guys for answering. :)

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
TaylorB said:
This is sort of off-topic, but I was wondering if you guys think all the current Tiger users will get a discount for Leopard. Thank you guys for answering. :)
Anyone who doesn't already use Tiger (or an earlier OS) won't be buying it anyway as first-time users will be buying a new machine with it already installed. In other words, there is no 'full price' or 'discount price'.

TaylorB

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2006
I think i'm buying Leopard as soon as it comes otu. I cannot wait! There might be bugs, but they will be fixed with an update or something. I don't think Apple would be the type to release something like that buggy.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
IMOP 10.4.7 worked better than the 10.4.8 update, and iTunes 6 worked better than iTunes 7... so I'll wait and check the feedback on Leopard before I go shelling out the $$ for another crummy "upgrade":rolleyes:

I'm going to be pissed if Apple turns into just another typical software/hardware blunderer in the computer world. That's not how they got set apart in the first place. I'll forget how good they've been to me if they start treating me like some ex pc owner mac noob who doesn't know any other way... I am an Apple OG and I know better.

are you listening, Apple?!

Applespider

macrumors G4
If you work with relatively ordinary apps, there's probably no real problem starting with 10.5.0. For all those who had problems with 10.4.0, there were many more who had no trouble and most of the 'obvious' bugs should have been sorted.

But, if you're using apps like Citrix or Remote Desktop to get access to other networks, or any slightly obscure apps then you might want to wait until a few other people have tried it out.

Incidentally, there's a big difference between buying on release date and installing then. You could buy your MBP on the release date (thereby getting your Leopard upgrade for the cost of shipping if the discs aren't put in the box) and wait for the early reports of the release before you upgrade.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
My two cents: buying the OS (or getting it with a new product) when it is brand new is fine if you don't mind riding out the early kinks. Apple is pretty quick to patch any problems, at least initially (getting them to fix bugs in Panther at this point is nearly impossible). So as long as you software update regularly, go for it. If you're worried, wait. But I wouldn't be, if I were you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.