Buying first mac! Should buy now or later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CrossFireXT17, Aug 16, 2006.

  1. CrossFireXT17 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2006
    #1
    Hey well I'm new to buying a mac (I've used them at school and what not, but enver really ever wanted to buy one) So I decided I'm just gunna buy an iMac cause its not like I need a mac pro or anything, jus somethin basic, plus I think the Imac has a nice design and what not. But should I buy it now? OR wait till leapord? Or Would leapord still work with my comp fine?
     
  2. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

    Super Macho Man

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    Hollywood, CA
    #2
    Leopard will work fine on the current iMac but it isn't coming out til next year. On the other hand, a new revision of the iMac with Core 2 processors is due any time now, probably by mid-September. The current iMac is fine but a faster one should be out in a few weeks.
     
  3. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

    Unspeaked

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2003
    Location:
    West Coast
    #3
    It's always best to wait a little, especially since the new iMacs ought to be out any week now.
     
  4. crazycat macrumors 65816

    crazycat

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2005
    #4
    If you can wait wait, if you need one now get it. The new ones might be bit faster but anything you can do on the new imacs you can do on the ones that you can buy now (sorry if that makes no sense i am kinda sick)
     
  5. THX1139 macrumors 68000

    THX1139

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    #5
    I would wait until next year. There are supposed to be faster computers coming out then.
     
  6. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

    Carl Spackler

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2005
    Location:
    Outer Space
    #6
    :D You've made my day. Thank you.
     
  7. CrossFireXT17 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2006
    #7
    yea tahts what I was thinking that new ones were coming out. Would they be cheaper though? Cause I'm just lookin for a nice low budget Mac. Cause I dno't want to to have to pay like $500 more then
     
  8. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #8
    Probably not cheaper. I say buy now or wait till next year
     
  9. tristan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    Location:
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    #9
    You might as well wait for the next rev of the iMac and then buy the new model or the discounted older model. That should happen in the next couple of months but you never know. The new model will probably have a Core 2 Duo in it.

    Or you could wait for quad-core, WiMax, Blu-Ray, etc etc etc. If you wait long enough, fusion-powered superconducting computers will enslave humanity and will be trying to decide whether they will buy you next tuesday.
     
  10. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

    Unspeaked

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2003
    Location:
    West Coast
    #10
    Wait and buy the new ones (which will probably be in line with current pricing) or the current ones which will then be old (and in turn marked down).
     
  11. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #11
    It's like the candy. Now and later.
    One Mac today.
    Another next tuesday. Or some tuesday anyway.
     
  12. Hytower77 macrumors regular

    Hytower77

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2005
    Location:
    Some random place outside of Fort Worth, TX
    #12
    "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a MacPro today." :p
     
  13. Hytower77 macrumors regular

    Hytower77

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2005
    Location:
    Some random place outside of Fort Worth, TX
    #13
    The only real "low budget" mac is the mini.

    And my two cents on buying now or waiting...You are going to be mad in a few weeks when the new one comes out, or in 7 months if it takes that long. If people always waited for the next fastest mac, people would never get around to buying one. :D
     
  14. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #14
    Did you get your iMac Core Duo in January/soon thereafter or much more recently?
     
  15. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

    dornoforpyros

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2004
    Location:
    Calgary, AB
    #15

    I think there's a lot of people in these forums that do just that. They've probably had the money in the bank for 2 years now, just still waiting for that g5 powerbook :rolleyes:
     
  16. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #16
    My G4 450 is 6 1/2 years old and I decided to get an Intel Mac this year and would purchase June-July. But then they pushed back WWDC. So I knew I had another month or so. Now I guess it's Paris or the week before (though that might only be the MBP). I am probably getting a Mini since I have almost completely ruled out the iMac. And it's doubtful we'll see a mid-tower. But while I'm not holding my breath or my cash for the Mini to get 128MB shared video, 965 or X3000 (I think the 965 is out, but the X3000 will be Santa Rosa - not really sure about all that), or even Merom (since there is a good chance it will stay Yonah for some time), I am going to wait another month if that's what it takes to get a speed bump to 1.83 or 2.0. It might be silly, and not really worth it, but the revisions are due and coming and I want to take advantage of that, who knows there may be a slight price drop too.
     

Share This Page