buying frenzies

Discussion in 'Community' started by adriantoll, Oct 18, 2004.

1. adriantoll macrumors member

I've recently being trying to convince myself that I really need a dual 2.5GHz G5 with either 23" or 30" screen, simply because I'm doing a bit more video editing and my hard drive is running out of space. I think I've managed to control myself now, without even the need for a cold shower, and I'm just going to buy a huge external hard drive. Perhaps I'm finally growing up.

What have you bought when locked into a buying frenzy? How do you counter them? Deep breathing?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I look at my bank balance, that normally brings any attempt at a buying frenzy to an abrupt halt :eek:

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i bought my pb, creature speakers, ipod, digital camera, some ram and a bt mouse within about 1 month. but that was because "i needed them". i had to buy an airport extreme base station at around easter time because i hadnt bought anything in a while and last week i bought a 160gb external hdd, but infact i did actually need it. i am really having to control myself not to buy a 20" external display. how have not bought it yet is anyones guess, especially when the he discount looks so tempting!

4. russed macrumors 68000

russed

oh i forgot about the powermate out of the previous list!

5. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    NO! Don't look into the Mac :) ... But seriusly if your not rich don't over spend on Macs (like me)... Not a good idea...

6. iGav macrumors G3

<begin subliminal> do it... do it... do it....<end subliminal>

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I went to New Zealand and spent money like it was nothing. But at least I ended up with.......(looks at empty hands).........hmmm..... :(

8. sparky76 macrumors regular

Buying frenzies?
    18 months ago I had 1 PC. Since then I have got:
    1. Rev A 17" Powerbook
    2. 512MB extra RAM for above.
    3. 160GB LaCie drive (external).
    4. 30GB iPod
    5. 40GB iPod
    6. 2 iTrips
    7. Rev B 12" Powerbook
    8. iPod mini
    9. iTrip mini
    10. iPod car charger
    11. Extra Apple power supply for PB's
    12. 500GB external LaCie drive
    13. 2x2.5 GHz G5 PowerMac with 6800
    14. 512MB RAM for the 12" laptop
    15. 1GB extra RAM for the PowerMac
    16. Office v.X
    17. Panther OS X 10.3
    18. Halo
    19. Unreal Tournament 2004

I think that's all. I hope it is. Anyone bought more Macs in the last 18 months?

9. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

:eek: :eek: damn!! :eek: :eek: hmm...about the biggest buying spree ive gone on recently was back when best buy was getting rid of all their vhs tapes and i bought around 35. been pretty broke since then

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

boy i thought i was on a buying frenzy when i bought

Viewtiful Joe for my GC (25€)
    Europa Universalis 2 (8€)
    Austin Powers 1,2, and 3 DVDs (5€,5€,10€)
    and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas DVD (10 €)
    within 2 weeks (then i resisted buying another GC game and around 3-4 cheap DVDs as well ...so i got off cheap)

thankfully i don't do the same with computers...there i plan for months and even years

everything what costs more than 50€ imeadatly on my planning list and above 10-15€ i'm full of doubts..i really need to 'want' it strongly that i'll buy something above that
    but lot's of cheap DVDs and computergames are deadly ;)

11. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Since I made the decision to buy a laptop, I have purchased:

• 15" PowerBook 1.33/512/60/Combo
    • Airport Base Station
    • Airport Express
    • 4G 20GB iPod (Cram and Jam)
    • HP 5150 printer (free w/CPU - even though I already had two printers!)
    • MS Office
    • FileMaker Pro
    • Adobe CS Standard
    • Brenthaven Professional Backpack
    • Altec Lansing InMotion for iPod
    • AC/Auto/Empower adapter for PB
    • Apple BT mouse
    • Bose Tri-Port headphones
    • retractable USB/phone/ethernet cable
    • Firewire cable
    • security cable
    • Radtech Screensavrz, Powersleevz, and Podsleevz
    • Radtech AlGlide kit

yikes!

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Get married. Then your wife will spend all your money for you before you have the chance ;)

13. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I know when I have money to spend and if want/need something I'll buy it. No regrets whatsoever. If I don't have the money or need it for something else then I don't. Pretty simple. :D

14. sparky76 macrumors regular

I forgot - also InMotion (Altec Lansing)

15. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Quick question... one of my posts just "disappeared". Can posts just disappear or are they deleted? And if they are deleted do you get a message why? This is just pretty weird, since this is the first time this has happened.

Edit: Sorry OT but didn't feel like opening up a new thread since it happened in this one but will if need to.

Edit2: Nevermind, seems like a lot of posts have been deleted. And although they were a bit OT I have to wonder why... who's deleting posts here? Step up! :D

Edit by Doctor Q: Any of the moderators may delete a post that is off-topic, against the rules, or a response to a deleted post. Your post fell into the last category.

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

For me, its been a painful couple months....

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new G5 with a 23" display, Canon D20 DSLR, a couple lenses, slide scanner (for my old stuff), and a good selection of software, about $10k worth of stuff - but I can't until my house in DC sells.

Two mortgages isn't fun, and every time we have to pay I cringe.....

D

17. belair macrumors 6502

belair

Had a pretty expensive year as well.
    Untill last march I owned a B&W G3.
    Since then I bought:

Nikon D70, Nikon 17-35 3.5 lense
    LaCie 160 gig external drive
    3G ipod 20 gig
    itrip
    tivoli ipal
    2.0 G5 1.5 RAM
    canon i9100 printer
    ibook G4 1GHZ

I am proud of myself that I did cancel my order for the 2.5 and taht I did not buy a new screen and that I kept my scanner. I think the buying frenzy will stop pretty soon I am planning to buy a flat. Mortgage here I come. :eek:

18. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

:p

I was in pretty much the same situation as adriantoll was. I had a video I needed to edit and my iBook G4 just didn't have the HD space... so I figured why just buy a new HD when I could buy a whole machine! But I restrained myself, bought an external 250 GB HD and now I just have to bring the video from FCE 2 to iDVD and get it burning... saved a good $1800+ in the process... I think it was well worth holding back.

19. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Am I the only one who does this? As soon as I get the newest gadget I have convinced myself that I need, I discover yet another new gadget to need? And I don't have enough time to use them all as much as I want, but it won't stop me.

examples:

When I got our G4 iMac a few years back, I also got a decent HP AIO, which really covers our needs well enough. Then I started making compilation CD's and converting some home videos to DVD, and decided that I needed a printer that could print directly on disks instead of using nasty labels, so I got the Epson 900. Cool new toy. Don't do this as often as I used to. Not enough time.
    Then iLife '04 came out, and I had to get it, of course. GarageBand is cool, especially for a no-talent-having music lover such as myself. Soon after, I realized that my life would be incomplete without a midi keyboard, and picked up a Radium 49. Very cool, don't use it as much as I'd like. Not enough time.
    I waited overnight in line to buy the PS2 the day it came out.. I have a collection of about 30-35 games. If I'm lucky, I get in an hour a week. Not enough time to play, but I still want the new GTA and Metal Gear games when they come out. And now we have new hardware coming in the next 18 months or so...
    Last year I decided I had to upgrade my original GameBoy to an Advance SP, so I did. Picked up maybe 8-10 games for it along the way, as well as a case. It hangs on a peg in the house, and I hardly ever play. Not enough time.
    Of course, now I am excited about the DS and the PSP.

The only recent gadget purchases that I find I use a lot are my iPod and PowerBook. Don't know how I ever got by without them. Of course, upgrades will be coming out....

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why didn't you go for the 1GB stick of RAM for the 17", cheap ass!! ;)

How do you even have room for 2 PB's, 1 PM, 2 iPods, and a Mini? Please tell me that you have a wife and 2 kids or something.... :confused:

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Nope. Only a PB12 and PB15.

But also purchased two PCs (homebuilt) with two flatscreens.

An eMate (does that count?).

Three external FW HDs (120, 120, 250).

Lots of little accessories (bags, special cables, PC cards, etc.).

The above stuff was added to my existing collection consisting of my G4/933 with 22 inch Cinema Display, TAM, original iMac, 4x7600, Desktop G3, PB170, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Oh, and don't get me started on all the PC crap that I've purchased. Ouch!

Sushi

22. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

In the past four months, I went from having four computers to nine computers in the house. My oldest computer is my QS 933. Man, trying to explain why you need that ninth computer is hard! ;)

23. adriantoll thread starter macrumors member

Well, at least I'm not alone :rolleyes:

I think those "Switch to Mac" adverts should have a financial health warning.

24. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Less me buying stuff and more me asking my mom for stuff.

Though all I've bought recently was a B&W G3, Zire 72, and a CD-RW for the B&W.

Though I needed the B&W for file storage (I had a lot of old IDE HDDs that I could use in a server) and I needed the Zire 72 because my m515 broke. I need the CD-RW because I use the G3 as a music server and sometimes I need to burn music (it was only $30).

I also bought some odds and ends, like a belt clip for the Palm and a GC game. Oh yeah, and an extra power adapter for my PB.

25. iJoe macrumors member

I'm making the switch... My bank manager must be sh...ing himself!

So Far just...

iMac 20" + BT KB+Mouse + 512mb ram

And then there is the 'to-do' list...

Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II: £130
    iPod/iPod mini: £180-£220
    Digital Camera: £100-£250
    Airport Extreme card + Airport Extreme/Express base station: £200
    Bluetooth phone: £100
    AppleCare: £140
    iSight: £120
    Power/i book: £1000
    (then there's the AppleCare for that...)
    Macworld/Mac User/iCreate/Mac Format/Any other mac magazines £0-£20per month:
    Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger: £100
    iTunes Music Store purchases: priceless

Oh but in what order! Decisions, decisions!