Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
I have seen ad from a person in my neighborhood who has a 60/1.2Gz/1Gb ram ibook for $600

If I go over w/ cash in hand it's mine.

I am nervous. I have never bought such a large purchase from an individual.
What do I look for in the ibook? How do I know it won't die tomorrow?

when should I walk away?

I see people buying on ebay all the time and I just wonder. At least Ebay you get a rating.

ANy advice anyone? ....quick....
Brenda

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
You want to make sure that everything works. That the original disks are included. Run Disk Utility to make sure that there are no problems and that the disk is not failing. Ask about repairs that have been made.

Since you are nervous about this I suggest you look into getting a refurbished machine. Currently you can get a Macbook for $799. It is a repaired machine but it is new and comes with a full warranty. You have to watch this section of the Apple Store and be ready to buy, but on the whole I think this might be better for you.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
When you buy a refurb direct from Apple, not only do you get the full 1 year
factory warranty, but you are also eligable for AppleCare.

You'll also get the latest OS software release along with iLife '06.

The MacBooks are also dual processor, where the iBooks are single G4 processor.

Just for some background, last year my daughter's 1.33 GHz 12" iBook refurb came with an upgraded HD, scrolling trackpad, motion sensor, the latest version at the time of OSX and also at that time iLife'05, with full warranty in pristine condition for $799.00

The iBook you're considering does not sound terribly overpriced, but as mentioned above, you'll want to know that all OS software is included
and check the System Profiler ( The Blue Apple in the Left upper corner)
for your OS software version, RAM etc.
Unfortunately, that 1.2 GHz model did not have the scrolling trackpad or the motion sensor.

I really like the 12" iBooks, but at this point I would go for a MacBook refurb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.