Buying from Ebay-UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by lion, May 29, 2005.

1. lion macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    I've decided recently to switch from PC to Mac and since i can't wait anymore for the expected ibook/powerbook updates, i decided to buy a second hand powerbook from ebay.

I'm wondering if anyone has the experience of buying a powerbook/ibook from ebay before. Some offers seem too good to be true. Anything i need to worry about apart from the seller's reputation? I don't understand why anyone would sell a powerbook G4 1.5 MHz 15'' with superdrive for £750 (Almost half the price!!!).

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Just remember that people who are watching an item usually make their move in the last 5 minutes of the auction. Things go way up at that time. While with 20 minutes left it's at a low price, it could double or even triple in a few minutes. As longs as the seller has a good rep. I would trust them for the most part. Remember to read the auctions carefully as they like to hide things.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You've answered your own question: too good to be true.

Nobody honest is going to sell a new or near new Powerbook for half price. The profit margin for Apple dealers on new product is approx. 3% - 5% - threre is no such thing as a discount or wholesale price.

Of course, JoeRipoff will happily sell it to you half price if he never intends to deliver it.

You can't go just by seller reputation, because Joe will have hijacked someone elses account who has a 100% feedback rating buying and selling cabbage patch dolls (you can look at the feedback history.. a prolonged gap in the history or a sudden change in the type and volume of products bought and sold is a tipoff.)

Do not under any circumstances bid on a Powerbook that is going to ship to you from a foreign country, that requires wire transfer, Western Union or money order payment only (non-recoverable), or that will ship to you in 2 - 8 weeks once the "wholesale discount order is placed".

Here is my fraud checklist any three of the below, probably you don't want to take the chance, 6 or more, call the cops:

Preapproved bidders only (so they can harvest emails and sell to multiple suckers off-ebay),
    "New", high end product,
    No reserve or "Buy it now" far below wholesale on high end product,
    Non-recoverable payment methods only (wire, certified, money order),
    Individual selling multiple "new" products,
    No history of selling this type (hijacked acct),
    Zero-feedback, cloaked or new account,
    No personal info, Copy and paste graphics and text (as in the only details in the auction were copied from Apple's site),
    Missing or absurd location,
    Free shipping (typical of "offshore supplier/Western Union" type scams)
    Country of product doesn't match account registration country of seller,
    Selling product that is not shipping yet,
    Selling new product only available from authorized dealers,
    Short auction (to sell before EBay responds to complaints),
    Solicits direct contact by email (anonymous, throwaway email account),
    Says not to use the eBay "ask Seller a Question" link because of some problem (sure sign of a hijacked account),
    Clone of another auction from a different seller (same text, graphics and/or offer)

4. lion thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for the great and fast advice.

Just to be sure. Can anyone spot anything suspicious in this ad ?

5. dcv macrumors G3

Hi lion,

I have bought and sold a fair amount on eBay UK and never encountered any problems. But it's still a fair amount of money you're talking about and if it were me, i would prefer to buy brand new and get the warranty etc.

If you're still thinking of buying second-hand and happen to live in or around London you might want to check out the for sale section of gumtree.com. There's a lot of australians/other overseas visitors selling stuff on there before they go back home so it's quite a good place to pick up the occasional bargain and at least you can try before you buy unlike with eBay. Also try Loot.

hope this helps :)

6. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

The BuyItNow price.

Edit: Also; if he can take one picture of his setup, why bother using a copy and paste image - why not just take another? Because... it's not his setup, perhaps?

I've come over all Nancy Drew!

andy.