Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
I am still up in the air on what the hell to do about my next laptop.

I have a 2011 11" MBA that is need of upgrading. I was going to go with a 2015 rMB, then waited for that update which was very little however the extra hour of battery life did appeal to me. So now I was all set to get the 2016 rMB, but then the rumors starting pouring in about the rMBP.

I honestly could just deal with a rMB for my needs and even consider a low-end rMB. However I tend to keep my laptops for 4-5 years or longer.

With the rMBP announcement and price gouging that they are pulling has put me in a weird spot. Not only that but a 2016 rMB M5 is $1599 is stupid expensive. So is the rMBP 13" w/ touch bar at $1,799 which I may not even want (still want to check it out though).

I have been checking the apple refrub but they dont have the color combo and processor I want showing up at their store (I will keep checking though).

I have some ebay people offering to sell flawless rMB m5 with apple care and saying there isn't any physical flaws on it. These sellers also have a 100% feedback rating and the price would be a lot cheaper than going through apple refurb.

Has anyone bought from a trusted ebay seller and had any luck?

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
over the years i have bought eight apple laptops from e-bay and have been well satisfied with seven of them. and the one i returned and got a refund so i guess i've been lucky.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
FWIW I'm strongly considering selling my barely used Macbook 2016 m7 512GB space grey, let me know if you'd be interested in a possible transaction either in or outside of eBay

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
As a buyer you are totally protected on ebay and paypal, I have bought and sold about 10 apple computers with no problems.
If you buy one and you feel it is not as described, you 1st contact the seller, if no satisfaction, you then open a case
The seller then has to pay return shipping and you get 100% of your money back including shipping.

Trhodezy

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
I purchase routinely from eBay using trusted sellers, if you use PayPal you're covered by the seller and buyer protection guarantee. No issue for my part.

Elcompa

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
NC, USA
I purchase routinely from eBay using trusted sellers, if you use PayPal you're covered by the seller and buyer protection guarantee. No issue for my part.
New poster here...long time lurker. I also wonder if you can buy apple care if it is still within the the first year?

ECJ

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2006
Memphis, TN
I have sold and bought many Apple items over the years on eBay, without an issue. Actually just bought a 2016 rMB m7 on eBay for a great price ($950). It was in pristine condition and just added AppleCare to it.

Last edited:

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
As others have stated, I feel it's safe to buy from Ebay. Make sure that payment is processed through PayPal. Between Ebay and PayPal, any buyer should feel well protected.

psymac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
I've been very pleased with Ebay, and as well Amazon. For not only buying, selling on Amazon has been a much better experience than Ebay, both in the transaction as well as the price Amazon charges. Just got to be careful with the shipping on Amazon, as it is a default amount, unlike Ebay.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
As a buyer you are totally protected on ebay and paypal, I have bought and sold about 10 apple computers with no problems.
If you buy one and you feel it is not as described, you 1st contact the seller, if no satisfaction, you then open a case
The seller then has to pay return shipping and you get 100% of your money back including shipping.

The shipping part is not accurate. Buyer pays to return.

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
The shipping part is not accurate. Buyer pays to return.

Not true, if a buyer files a "not as described" complaint, seller pays shipping both ways, I bought 3 items that weren't working
properly and returned them, seller paid both ways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.