Buying from Jersey, UK - How does the no tax thing work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Spanky Deluxe, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK

I've got a friend who's staying out in Jersey for three weeks with a friend and I was wondering how I could go about ordering an ibook over there so that he could bring it back and I could get it cheaper i.e. no vat.

Does the Apple store not charge VAT if shipping to a Jersey address or does it only not charge VAT if being paid for by a Jersey-registered credit/debit card?

Also would the 'buy an ibook and ipod and get £100 rebate voucher' think work when ordering to Jersey too?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Kind Regards,

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    I'm not sure of the specifics but I think you might only be able to get it without VAT if the Apple Online Store was based in Jersey (like and everything else is). I'd wager that Apple would just count Jersey as part of the UK and therefore everything would be subject to VAT but you may be able to claim back on that if you could try to prove that you weren't just going to ship into the UK mainland! However, I might just be talking *&@%$*!
  3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    There's some information towards the end of this thread you might find useful. :)
  4. rama macrumors newbie

Aug 31, 2005
    hey i am from jersey!

the basic law is this:

VAT is not charged as in refunded ONLY to jersey residents!
    ur firend will be charged VAT on his way back upto mainland if he gets caught by Customs, or they could worse do him for VAT fraud!

Anyway seeing that its a i book, u can carry it as if it is something u've had for ages! Then customs can't do someone for usign their personal laptop!

Essentially what ur friend is goind is fraud! but enjoy anyway