Buying from Mac Fanatic Shop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by anna255, Jul 1, 2004.

1. anna255 macrumors newbie

Does anyone have experience purchasing from Mac Fanatic (macfanaticshop.com)? They have prices on both ibooks and powerbooks that are $100-$250 less than those on Apple.com, and they offer free shipping and an education discount on top of that. Seems kind of fishy to me, but the price is far better than I had expected (I'm looking at the 14.1 ibook, 1.2Ghz, Combo drive, NOT the superdrive). Any advice would be great. Thanks!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

Do not buy from them. They are a scam!

See this Mac Whiz thread, the last few pages of it.

3. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

MY GOD NOOO!!! Don't do it!!! Mac WHIZ ALERTTTTTT

4. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Something needs to be done about the guy that runs those sites. Too many people have been swindled out of their money... :mad:

5. anna255 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow! I'm glad I asked. It did seem kind of strange, they also said I had to wire the money in order to qualify for the 10% discount.
    Thanks for the quick advice everyone!

6. boz2004 macrumors member

I believe that most (if not all) of the "wire money now for discount" ads are scams... I vaguely remember reading something online that gave a best practice for online shopping is to just say no to those sorts of things...wish I could remember where I read that, now... if it comes back to me, I'll share the link

7. phasornc macrumors member

Another Complete Scam

The words on the site are lifted straight off the fraudulent macwhiz site. There wherehouse distribution center is just a picture of the back of a building (http://macfanaticshop.com/images/warehouse.jpg). It could be anywhere. If you have attempted to order and they have requested a wire transfer, please post any info they have given you e.g. what account to transfer the money to. Keep posting any info to this thread to help save others.

8. phasornc macrumors member

notified the hosting company

They are hosted by assurancehosting.com. I notified them of this scam, hopefully they will investigate and shut it down.

9. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I can no longer access their homepage. Perhaps they have been taken offline already?

10. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I don't think so. I just got through to it at 10:45am est. Still up and scamming. :mad: