Buying iBook...Apple.com or reseller?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by coolbreeze, May 13, 2003.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

After my attempt at trading out my iMac for an iBook here I've decided to just buy a new iBook and eBay my iMac. Besides, if I add Applecare when my iBook is brand new, it covers the display, right?

Well, I was looking on Apple.com, and did the runthrough all the way to the credit card information, and never saw a mention of sales tax. I live in SC, and I was wondering if Apple charges sales tax here. If so, it will run close to $70....so if that is the case, should I get the iBook from an online reseller since there is no tax? (there are no brick and mortar stores here that sell Apples).

If so, where does everyone recommend?

Thanks.
    -breeze

2. morlium macrumors regular

i'd go with a reseller.
    usually, you can get a free RAM upgrade (or some other goodies) and avoid sales tax.

all in all, you'll end up saving a few hundred dollars.

3. c2kvette macrumors member

Keep in mind that shipping is FREE on Apple.com, and you usually get your product in 2 days.

4. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

go to the source man...

I would buy from Apple directly. You can buy RAM and other upgrades elsewhere. As stated above, Apple offers free shipping, usually on 2 days for you to get it, and if there is a problem they are much more likely to help you out (damaged goods etc).

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

get it from a reseller. they reseller gets some money, apple gets some money and everyone is happy.

iJon

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

FYI... Resellers (or any internet/catalog vendors) not charging sales tax don't mean you don't owe any taxes. Technically, you are required in most states to declare "use tax" for any purchases made without paying the sales tax.

Of course, this didn't prevent me from purchasing my PB 12" from a NY vendor and avoiding MI tax... (For now, of course. I'll pay the use tax when I file next year. :D )

7. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 65816

OK, so if I do go for a reseller, which do you guys suggest? Also, the RAM deals are usually like 256 MB chip, and they charge like $40 to install. Thanks, but no thanks. I might as well get it stock 128MB, buy a 512MB chip for like $80 and put it in myself. Sound like the best option?

8. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Maczones.com, macwarehouse.com and macmall.com. See who has the best offer. Usually free RAM and a printer.

I would only go with Apple on the towers so I can choose the options, HD, modem, RAM, etc. Everything else I go with a reseller because RAM is the really only option with laptops and none with monitors.

9. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

If you can get by with a 12.1" screen, 600mhz, CDROM (only), and 16MB VRAM check out macsolutions.com and save yourself $200. Also, their RAM is pretty inexpensive and you're not *required* to have them install it. If you're looking for a combo drive or 14.2" screen, get it from the Apple store or road trip to Atlanta!

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

many if not all resellers will charge you money to put in the ram. if they are giving you free ram they are gonna charge you 30 or 40 dollars to put it in whether you want it or not. they gotta make the money somewhere. read the fine print, you dont have a choice.

iJon

11. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

yes, the 256MB I bought for $33 would have been "free" with a $39 install fee. hey I'm cheap; six bucks is six bucks. . .

12. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Re: Buying iBook...Apple.com or reseller?

Be careful here. Applecare doesn't cover accidental damage to the screen. It only covers defective parts. If the screen develops a defect, you're OK. If it develops a defect because you dropped it, then you're SOL.

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

also keep in mind that applecare or no, it takes quite a few dead/ stuck pixels to consitute a defect in apple's mind.

14. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

Reseller..

they give you much more benefits like ram upgrade and sales tax cut and etc...

and a global reason is, make the money travel around the market.. :)

15. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I would go with the re-seller. MacPrices.com tells what deals the Mac re-seller sites currently are offering.