Buying IBook G4 12'

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by LoWiTUsA, Sep 15, 2004.

1. LoWiTUsA macrumors member

Sep 13, 2004
    I am on my way to buy a ibook G4 12' for myself, I look price online and it seems that the best deal is from apple refurbished started at 950 for the combo one. Is that a good deal or not ? And is that a good time to buy, or should I wait a little bit ???? I also saw on a few thread that apple make buyer paid taxe ???? WTF for online service ????

Its gonna be my first Mac, good change for a PC user.
  2. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    yes you still need to pay sales tax for some online stores.

A 12 foot ibook? thats a bit big. I think you means ibook g4 12"

new ibooks are supposedly coming out soon (month or two) but i doubt it.
  3. hcuar macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004
    Nah... Go ahead and BUY!!! It saves 150 dollars from the original price. I just switched last weekend to a 12" Powerbook. I LOVE it! I've used it 10x more than my PC lately. I go to work and think "yuck" everytime I see Windows 2000.

As to the tax... Apple has a national presence. Therefore, they charge tax everywhere. Sorry... Tis the way it goes. It's worth it. ;-)

I would recommend a few things on the iBook:
    1.) Upgrade the RAM to at least 512 MB.
    2.) Get the Airport Extreme card.
    3.) Consider getting bluetooth... It'll be nice for wireless mice in the future with the need for a dongle. ;-) yeah dongle.
  4. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5

Agreed, buy now. All the suggested "extras" are going to become essentials to you, either now or soon. You might find that, after adding all that stuff on, you might be better off going for a new model from a reseller, since you can usually get extras like more memory, a case, and a printer free [after rebate]. Good luck on your purchase.
  5. hcuar macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004
    I'm not sure if a refurb counts... However, Apple is "giving" a free printer after rebate with purchases. I got the HP 5740... It's a pretty nice printer. I'm pretty picky on the case. I have a Marware case for around the house. I'm gonna upgrade to booq Mama XS around Christmas. (Requesting that as a gift from the wife... also a BT mouse.)...
  6. Dandaman macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2004
    Glad to hear you are switching. I also have a 12" ibook and love it. I almost never use my PC anymore. Hope you enjoy your ibook :)
  7. dieselg4 macrumors regular

Oct 20, 2003
    Rockin' Pittsburgh!
    This is a good buy; as a frequent ebayer, iBook g4's go for not much less than this, and sometimes more. PLus its always more satisfying to get it direct from Apple.