Buying iMac RAM online

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Invizzible, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Invizzible macrumors regular

I need some RAM for my mom's 800 Mhz G4 iMac, and the cheapest price I've found is at Powerlinememory.com. They have 256 MB for $56 and 512 MB for $98. This is cheaper than Crucial and OWC. Has anyone ever bought from Powerlinememory? I'm wondering if they're reputable. I've had good experiences with OWC before, and everyone says Crucial is good. I'd like to save a few bucks of course, but not if it means having a bad online purchase experience.

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

In my opinion, saving a few bucks on RAM isn't usually worth it. I've used Crucial for 4 years now, and have never been let down.

Lee Tom

3. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

Even if you have to spend a little more money, you should go with reputable sellers that back up their purchases with products made by reputable companies. If I were you, I would choose OWC or Crucial (which I do recommend) just to make sure.
    There may be compatibility issues and the shipping/return responsibility will be yours for many resellers.

4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

crutial is the way to go, no probelms and if there is they make it right!

5. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I absolutely agree with SolidGun and LeeTom. When I first got my Powerbook, I thought I would save some money and go to a local supplier. I figured that if I gave them the spec on the RAM required it would be no problem. I received the RAM installed in, and the Powerbook froze during startup, the supplier was understanding and swopped the RAM, same spec but different manufacturer. Same problem. In the end had to return the RAM again, and then purchased from Crucial.com in the UK. Memory worked first time, and I have learnt my lesson!

6. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Honestly, I hate to agree, but you may as well just fork over the money to get quality RAM. If you skimp, you could run the risk of a bunch of issues, none of which i'm going to get into here (search).

Crucial makes quality RAM, I have also heard of people dealing with excellent customer service over at OWC. Good luck.

7. friarbayliff macrumors regular

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

9. Semperfiero macrumors newbie

Something you might consider before you purchase is check crucial's website through different browsers or clear your internet cache before. I remember a thread talking about crucial using dynamic pricing (I think that was the term used) and that if you checked the website using different browsers or if you cleared your cache first you would get different prices. People reported get prices from $96-109 for a stick of PC3200 512 for a G5 soley depending what browser they checked with. So if you get lucky or figure out how the system works you could get better ram for a better price. I have done this and I do get different prices through safari vs. IE even when I check at the same time.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

More the reason for not spending our money with Crucial. To the best of my knowledge OWC doesn't play this low handed game.

11. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

It looks like no one here has ever dealt with powerlinememory, so I guess I'll avoid them. The dynamic pricing thing is certainly strange. I'll try that a few times just to see what happens. Thanks for the input everyone!