Buying in-person at a US retail Apple Store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zen, Feb 9, 2004.

1. zen macrumors 65816

zen

Hi,

Slightly odd question I guess. I'm travelling to Orlando, FL from New Zealand in a couple of weeks. As the exchange rate is so good (for us) at the moment, I'm thinking of picking up an 800 Mhz 12" iBook while I am over in the US.

Problem is I'm only going to be in the country for about a week - do Apple stores keep their own stocks of stuff like iBooks? I was browsing an online store here in NZ and noticed that their inventory was zero for all iBooks. I figured that the Orlando Apple Store - being a proper US Apple Store - would be OK for stock. Basically I just want to walk in with the money and walk out with the computer!

Apart from a phone number on the Apple site, I can't find a contact email address for the Orlando store to ask them directly.

Any advice?

Zen

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yes

All the Apple Retail Stores carry whatever products are available at that moment. They are sometimes out of models (like when the 15" powerbook first came out) but demand on any particular model is not high enough to really worry about it right now. If you have the cash, they have the computer.

3. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Re: Buying in-person at a US retail Apple Store

Apple stores usually try and keep the popular items in stock. Inventory changes depending on demand, availability, updates etc.

Here's the site to find the info that you're looking for on the Apple store in Orlando.

http://www.apple.com/retail/millenia/

Good Luck :)

4. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Just make sure you want to buy one of the stock models , becuase they wont upgrade anything but ram, bluetooth or airport. If you wnat anything else upgraded you have to order it online.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Note...

Can't upgrade internal bluetooth in-store either. Just airport and ram.

6. zen thread starter macrumors 65816

zen

Cool, thanks for the advice. My current machine is a 333 Mhz iMac - I suspect I'm going to enjoy the iBook quite a lot...

Zen

7. laserbeahm macrumors member

Call the store a couple of hours before you plan to leave. As people mentioned, the only time they have stock problems are when there are hot products out. I also had trouble finding a 15" PowerBook at the Apple Stores. Most of the stores will hold products for a couple of hours.

8. Opteron macrumors 6502

Yeah, Give them a call before you leave and talk the lingo, agree on a system and tell them you'll pick it up in a few days.