Buying in the USA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by acearchie, Jan 23, 2007.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Last year i went to new york and bought my shiny fantastic new powerbook G4 there! now almost 2 years on I am doing the same thing, but I recall that the price on the american site was not the price I paid in the shop becuase of tax. Can anyone tell me what this is?

I tried it at 17.5% but i only make a saving of liek £50,

but I made considerably more in a saving last year but the exchange rate is higher now!!!

Thanks!

2. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Every state has a different tax rate and sometimes even cities have different tax rates, New York City has an 8.3% tax.

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Jump on a bus to Boston make your way to the Rockingham New Hampshire Apple store max out your cards and bus back,no sales tax.

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

also be careful when traveling home. depending on where you live custom might charge you your countries sales tax. so don't advertize to them that you're importing a new computer.;)

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You also pay the draft n fee to get n capabilities in your Wi-Fi when you get back.

6. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Yeh I came upon this last year! I made sure I was extra specially careful and threw away all the boxes etc!

So from this do you mean that if a laptop is advertised on the american apple site for $1000 i add 8.3% to that if I buy in america but 0% if i buy it in boston?

Thanks

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Not Boston across the border in New Hampshire .Salem it's a short train ride then taxi walk whatever,I did it and didn't save a huge amount of money but it was a adventure.

8. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

But i suppose if i am planning on buying a new laptop and maybe a couple of video ipods that 8.3% will make a difference right?

Btw your still not quite answering my question,

That 8.3% is put ontop of the price on the apple site, right?
    And in new hampshire I pay exactly the same price as the apple site?

Thanks!

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes, and yes.

There are other places with Apple stores that have no sales tax, like Delaware, if you're going to be closer to Philadelphia....

B

10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

throwing away the boxes maybe not enough. im a german citizen but live and work in boston. when i travel to germany once in a while the customs officers check out my luggage (~1 in 50 chance to get checked!) and then they will charge 16% sales tax on all equipment bought in the US up to 3 years old:rolleyes:

only the fact that my passport shows that i have NO RESIDENCY in europe gets me off the hook and i don t pay anything.

they assume that a notebook with 110V powersupply and american keyboard is bought in the US. so removing all boxes and sending the reciepts separately by mail to your home adress doesn,t help!:eek:

as for the prices: for a $1000 laptop the charge you $1083 in New York store, $1050 in Boston and $1000 in New Hampshire.

For $50 savings i don't drive to New Hampshire becuse with costs for Gas it's not worth it. For a $2500 MBP and 3 iPODs it is definately worth it.

andi