Buying Intel iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lamina, Apr 1, 2006.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

This week I will be ordering a 17" Intel iMac with 1gbx1 upgrade. Does everyone love their 17" Intel iMac?

2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Nope, but I do LOVE my 20" intel iMac. It is superb

3. Willy S macrumors 6502

Actually, you can buy a 17" iMac and some nice 20" S-IPS panel LCD for similar amount that the 20" costs.....

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, I had a 17" G5 iMac that was great but I needed the extra screen size so I bought the 20" Intel iMac. As my sig. points out I'm happy. Now if I didn't need the screen size the 17" Core Duo is a great Mac to have/get for most anyone. So is a G5 iMac but I really like the iMac anyway so it doesn't matter in the end :D Happy is happy, just get Ram like you did and it will last you a long time. Enjoy your new iMac :)

5. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I agree. This is by far the best computer I've ever used. I just can't wait to see where they're at in about 3 years.

6. theheyes macrumors regular

Snap! Well, almost, I've already got mine. :D

You'll find you've made a good decision going with the 1GB RAM. I've got 2x 512 in mine because I'm hoping by the time I need more, there will be another Mac to buy. :p

7. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Sorry but: IDIOT!! It cost the same in the iMac to get 2x512 or 1x1 GB. HA! n00b!:p

BTW, hope you enjoy yours iMacs!:D

8. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

What? It's better to have 2x512 because of dual channel, which doesn't help much (from what I hear) but it's something, at least. 1x1GB is only good if you need to upgrade later, which theheyes is saying he won't have to, since something better will be out by then.

9. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

10. DrStrangelove macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

It's my understanding (I could VERY WELL be wrong) that when you run dual channel and use both expansion slots that each chip can be accessed concurrently and therefore showing slight improvements on speed.

Meaning, and I know this is a simple explanation if not somewhat flawed, that lets say you have two 512s as opposed to one 1GB-- well, think of the chips as identical (this is why it's important to use identical chips) drinking glasses and the data as water. It's easier and faster to fill up two drinking glasses from two with equal amounts of water than it is to fill up one larger glass with double the amount of water. And you can fill up these two drinking glasses at the same time.

The best suggestion is to put 1GB of identical RAM into both slots.

Anyone know if I'm correct?

11. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my 17" iMac.

Buy one faster...

12. theheyes macrumors regular

Hey, I said that without opening my mouth. :D

Yep, I went for the 2 sticks because of the dual channel, which is something to consider if you havent ordered it already.

13. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I had a 17 duo for about a week before I gave my mom's to her. It was great! Now my wife's convinced that we need an iMac and it'll replace the dead pc (unfortunately we have to pay off our car first:( ) but anyways it is a lovely machine, I was very very impressed (as I was running it with the stock 512mb of ram:eek: ). It runs pretty much everything well and rosetta is even decent (for office). The only issue with it in it's month of ownership is that keyboard issue that a few of us are having, otherwise a good all around buy.

14. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

And if your ONE stick of ram goes bad, what do you have? Nada. With 2 at least if one goes you have the other. Making this ram choice does not make one an idiot, making stupid uninformed comments such as yours does. Maybe your just one of those people who only feels important when cutting on others.

15. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Is there anywhere I can find benchmarks between a 17" iMac with 2x512 and 1x1?

16. theheyes macrumors regular

I don't know of any benchmarks but as FredAkbar pointed out the performance increase isn't much for your average applications, but its better than nothing since I won't be needing more ram anyway.

If you think you want more ram in the future then by all means go for the 1GB stick.

17. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Oka, i understand that dualchannel is better.:D