Buying iPhone without Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blueyechi, Jan 9, 2007.

1. blueyechi macrumors newbie

I am a Verizon customer but I need to have the iPhone. I am not willing to switch over to Cingular but I am willing to put down $499 for a Widescreen iPod, a Web Browser, Google Maps, etc. Would it be possible to just walk into an apple store around June, pick up an iPhone, and use it for everything other than a phone?

2. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    I would assume so, but Im not positive... you will most likely be able to use many features over the wifi and bluetooth...

3. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

What makes you think any of us would know?

The phone isn't even out yet. Besides doubt you can buy it directly from Apple. Try third party ways like eBay.

4. dancertom3 macrumors member

I doubt it. I'm willing to bet that the exclusivity contract between the iPhone and Cingular will only last for 1 year. Cingular will be the only provider that will be able to provide internet access etc. And, $600 later, after the masses have signed on to Cingular for 2 years, Apple will announce that its 'ageing' iPhone is now available without network contract, at a greatly reduced price. But, what most people won't see, is that they're just clearing stocks to make room for the next iPhone installment.

Of course you could use it for bluetooth and iPod, but why would you?

5. brianbkny macrumors member

im sure they will be available on ebay off contract, but good luck finding one unlocked. since its a new phone OS, its going to be awhile until people start unlocking these.

6. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

CNN claims that Cingular/ATT will have exclusive rights through 2009.

7. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

2009?! Screw iPhone then. I'm sticking with RIM.

8. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

The technology might go into an iPod though.. so I would wait.. :)

9. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

If it in asia in 2008 you will get a unlock phone......

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If that were true then they would of announced a widescreen iPod today. They want people to buy the iPhone before they announce a stand alone widescreen ipod, and if they are not shipping till June expect another 6 months before a new iPod. So it wont be until xmas 07.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

would that be legal?

12. dvkid macrumors regular

A new OS? It is a stripped down OS X. And OS X is UNIX with a GUI. Hardly new. A new wrapper? Yeah...but not a new operating system.

13. brianbkny macrumors member

there weren't that many specs dropped on what os the phone is actually running. sure they said "os x" but who knows what's behind that until the public gets a hold of a unit.

14. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I still think by June we'll have a stand-alone iPod (with no phone) that has most of those features, plus a larger HD.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why would they do it in June, that would eat into iPhone sales. It wont happen till fall.

16. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

What do they care? A sale's a sale. You could argue the reverse. Or you could argue the Zune will cut into iPod sales if iPods don't get bigger displays.

17. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Yes i buy from there often....

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Apple has done it before, holding back a product so that they can sell a new device.

19. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I don't think their problem will be selling enough iPhones. Their problem will be getting them out fast enough.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

True but they don't want to take the spotlight away from the iPhone with a new iPod. They could of announced it today if they wanted too.

21. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Basically, yes. (Probably). Except, you'll pay $699 for the 4GB, $799 for the 8GB. Cingular's standard signing discount is $200, so I'm assuming that's the discount their offering on these (remember Steve and the Cingular guy noted that the prices he listed included the 2 year contract). Also, of course, your web browsing, Google maps, etc, would only work on Wifi if the phone's not activated.

Now, it's possible they'd got the route of some phones and require a valid SIM to even do anything but make an emergency call, but I'd hope not. Not for a smart phone like that.

jW

22. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

But it is still up in the air as to whether you will only be able to buy this phone through cingular... If that is the case then you may have to sign up for a contract to buy it. Either way, if you don't get the two year contract, I'm guessing the price jumps about $200.

23. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i don't think the next ipod will have "most" of those features. maybe all of the ipod features, but i wouldn't count on any of the internet stuff being included.

24. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

There's no guarantee the phone is locked at all. Cingular has exclusive distribution and service agreements with Apple, but that doesn't mean that the device itself is SIM locked. My first instinct would be that it isn't, because why should Apple bend to cell phone games? It won't be able to make these fast enough, period, and when they branch out to the rest of the world, it probably won't be locked.

Instead, they'll probably just make you sign up with Cingular as part of the checkout process (like when you buy phones at Best Buy or Amazon.com), and then you can cancel your individual contract for $200, thereby getting your own iPhone for T-Mobile or Orange or whatever GSM operator you choose. Cingular gets paid, Apple gets paid, you don't suffer any worse than usual with a cell phone. It's win-win-win.