Buying ipod through apple store versus other store

Discussion in 'iPod' started by luckylisp, Feb 2, 2006.

1. luckylisp macrumors 6502

I'm getting ready to purchase an ipod and I'm wondering if it's a better deal to purchase through an apple store (I have one near me) versus any random store. The price is the same, but does more come in the box if bought through an apple store? I noticed on their web site that it lists a case, and a dock adaptor in the box, but at my local computer store those items aren't listed as included.

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Well, if your a student or a teacher, you can order through the Apple Education Store online and get a discount. Other than that, the Apple store is much more fun to buy from...if you're a Mac addict like most of us on this forum.

3. luckylisp thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply, iSaint. I'll probably pop in the apple store near me to make the purchase. Mainly I was just wondering if buying through apple if more items were included with the purchase for the same price as the average store is charging. Going by the apple site, that looks to be the case.

4. JeffGilly macrumors newbie

lucky,
    I'm pretty sure that the nano (or any ipod) and what's included in the "box" is the same either at the Apple store or other electronics or department store. What could be different is if the elec. or dept store offers free accessories or a giftcard or something like that if you purchase the iPod from them. For example, before Christmas, Target was offering a $20 giftcard with a purchase of an iPod (can't remember which iPod that was).

But as far as service and warranty work, I would think that it would get you better service if you bought it directly from the Apple store. That's my .02 worth. I just purchased the 4Gb Nano a couple weeks ago from the Apple store in my area and I may have to take it back because the charging process doesn't complete. So hopefully I will get good service.

Jeff

5. danny_w macrumors 601

I don't know if it applies to iPods (I assume it does) but if you try to return a computer to an Apple store when there is nothing wrong with it they charge you a 15% restocking fee (assuming it has been opened of course). OTOH, just about any discount or department store will take it back with no restocking fee (at least around the Austin TX area). For this reason I would be very loathe to buy anything from an Apple store (or Apple online for that matter). I have never had Best Buy, CompUSA, Fry's, or Circuit City charge me a restocking fee on anything, even if it may be their option to do so. After all, there are simply times when you find out that a purchase is not right for you after getting it home. I don't understand why we put up with these kind of practices from Apple when we won't from other retailers.

6. topher macrumors member

There's no real benefit to buying in the apple store. You get the same box with the same ipod, usb cable, earbuds, and cd no matter where you buy it.

As has been mentioned, there may be benefits of buying outside of apple...slightly cheaper prices, tax breaks (no sales tax on amazon purchases) bundle deals (like itunes gift cards) but you probably won't get those at apple.

For ipod purchases, the value-addition of free engraving is pretty sweet, but can only be done on-line. The student teacher discount is available on-line and through brick and mortar stores with student id, and in some instances can more than offset the tax savings of an amazon.com.

Lastly, with regard to service...the geniuses at your apple store will treat you very well regardless of where you bought your ipod. Mine is 3.5 years old, was purchased at compusa, and I've taken it in for genius work twice. They dove in and solved the problem, offered more help than I actually needed, and never asked for any proof that it was an Apple store purchase...so, in my experience at least, you will benefit from Apple's renowned support by buying an Apple product, not because you buy it directly from Apple.

7. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Yeah I guess if you are new and not familiar with ipods, you can always test drive it at a best buy or a store with out a restocking fee. I personally buy mine at Apple cause I love going in there and feeling like a total geek. Plus the 10% student discount!