Buying iPods

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kerpow, May 16, 2005.

1. kerpow macrumors 6502

I'm looking to get myself at least a 30gb model sometime soon.

First, has anyone compared the difference in volume between US and Euro models. Is it substancial?

Second, would you wait until the wwdc to see if there are any cool updates?

2. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

So you're looking to buy an iPod Photo? Difference in volume - meaning price?

3. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

When he speaks of volume, he means volume as in "loudness." European iPods have their volume restricted according to some law. However, I think that there is a hack to disable this. I have no direct experience with a European iPod.

Also, the iPod line was updated very recently, so I wouldn't expect any updates within the next 6 months, but who knows. I say go with the 30g iPod Photo!

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I read somewhere recently that the unrestricted US models are capable of 104db and that the EU models are capped to 100db.

4db may not sound a lot but if I remember correctly a 3db gain is a perceived doubling of volume... or something like that.

Here's one link:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11773

The cap remover is here:
    http://gopod.free-go.net/index_en.htm

I haven't tried it on mine. Use at your iPod's risk.

5. punkbass25 macrumors member

it is extremely unlikely we will see any major hardware updates at WWDC. WWDC is for developers... and i don't think a software developer is really all that concerned with an ipod after paying 2000 dollars to attend. maybe a new technology that would open up new doors for developers but doubtful on new products. also as some one else here has said, its never been done in previous years. so i would say no your probably best just getting it now, after all you can start enjoying it sooner.

maybe at paris expo or macworld boston

as far as the volume concern, there are many many hacks out there to remove the volume limiter so that really isn't a problem.

enjoy your future ipod love affair