buying Mac for use with PC software

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2ms, Oct 10, 2006.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

I am an engineering grad student who needs to use a program called ProE that is only available for PC. I will be needing to use this software an awful lot so it would almost be smarter to just stick to PCs but I want an iBook. I was thinking of buying the 1299 model w 1G ram (so $1399).

What other software will I need to buy in order to run ProE on a new mac? Will the OSX that comes with it include BootCamp or wtvr? And then will also have to buy a damn copy of Windows which is like $200 or something? Can I just use a cdrom from someone elses windows installation (even though that stealing and I obv shouldnt but just wondering). I will be needing to do this absolutely as cheaply as possible.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

iBooks are no longer sold. I presume you mean MacBook.

MacBooks will run Windows XP, you will need a fully up-to-date version of OSX (easy, just run Software Update before anything) and download the most current version of Boot Camp to partition your drive and create the drivers CD.

You need a full-version, retail copy of Windows XP with Service Pack 2.

3. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Not only will you need XPSP2, but it's a good idea to upgrade the HD to allow room for your extra XP partition.

Mac OSX will not require any A/V software, but your XP partition will require customary protection if you're going to use your XP partition online or if IT
    demands A/V protection to connect to their server.

4. 2ms thread starter macrumors 6502

is the new version of OSX that is coming out soon something I would probably want to wait for in order to get it with computer or will I get for free when it comes out if I buy current Macbook? And, what's the cheapest way to get the necessary WinXP? It looks to be very expensive

5. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

If you don't own your own copy of Windows XP Home or XP Pro including SP2, that
    does complicate your situation.

If you wait for an OSX Leopard powered Mac this spring, then you might benefit
    from easier dual booting, but you'll still have to own a Copy of XP or Vista.

6. generik macrumors 601

generik

http://www.reactos.com/

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

If you buy the current MacBook you will have to pay for the new version of OSX when it's released next year. The purchase window for getting a free version of the new OS is very small, I think it's one week prior to the new version shipping. So no, you won't get it free unless you wait and have it pre-installed after 10.5 is announced. It will most likely cost US$129, less for those in tertiary education.

The cheapest way to get XP sp2 is to shop around, remember, you can't use the Upgrade version - it has to be the full install. And yes, it is expensive.

8. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

The next version of Mac OS X (Leopard), due out next spring, won't be a free upgrade. The current version retails for $129, but I think you can get student discount on it. As for getting Windows XP cheap , check with your school to see if you can get a cheaper copy. My school sold Windows XP Professional upgrades for $99 last fall, half of what it would normally cost.

9. ddekker macrumors regular

Pro E

as a long time Pro-E user (12+ years) for all the screwing around you will be doing to get it to work correctly and the cost involved I hate to say it, but go buy a $399 or $499 Dell and use it just for your Pro E... once you get to a certain point you may need better hardware but Pro is a big beast to take so it will work for quite sometime...

DD

10. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog