Buying macbook in the USA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by honzac19, Aug 2, 2006.

1. honzac19 macrumors newbie

Aug 2, 2006
    I'm from Czech Republic and I'd like to buy macbook, but here in Czech the prize of macbook is about 1500USD higher than in applestore at so I've been wondering about buying it at in US and have it shipped to Europe. Here're my questions:
    1.- Is there any problem with shipping to Europe?
    2.- How much does the shipping cost?
    3.- Apple care is worldwide, right?
    4.- What're your experiences with buying refurbished Macs? Do they have failures or are they like new, just refurbished?
    5.- If I want to buy it and Apple doesn't support shipping to Europe (Czech) can I just buy it there and use another company to ship?
    Jan Černý
  2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    On portables, AppleCare is worldwide, I believe. On desktops, I think it's tied to the country in which it was bought.
    I have a refurbished G5 tower at home and I love it. It's in perfect condition and included free upgrades: a bigger HDD and more RAM.
    I'm sure you could...if you have somewhere for Apple to ship it to. Like a relative's house or a friend's place or something.
    You're welcome. :)
  3. JoeKarame macrumors regular

May 2, 2005

Unfortunately, you can't buy from unless you live in the US (same as iTunes - which is really annoying, as only iTunes US has good video downloads...).

Applecare is worldwide I believe.

I've never had a refurb machine myself, but there have been loads of people who have, and the vast majority have always praised the quality.

If you know someone in the US, I'd get them to order it, and then ship it vi DHL or some other air freight courier...might be the best way.
  4. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    just go over the boarder to germany where its near US priceing.
  5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Aug 17, 2004
    Communard de Londres
    This lot may be worth a look: not that I've used them, I think there are others also.Hectors post seems good advice to me.
  6. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    Keep in mind that a US MacBook will probably have a different keyboard than the Czech MacBook. Not sure if that is a really big issue or not. Also, the power cord that comes with it will have a US plug, so you'll need a plug adaptor (the transformer is world compatible).

7. honzac19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 2, 2006
    English keyboard is not a big problem for me, just some special chars are missing there, but I can still buy an extra-keyboard. Is there any problem with plug tension, 'cos in czech republic we have 240V and I think that could be a problem?
  8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Aug 17, 2004
    Communard de Londres
    Voltage is not a problem on Apple portables the power bricks will adapt anything(off the top of my head)from about 100-250 volts even frequency (of any public system I've heard of) is not a problem.Plug adaptors are obviously different but are cheaply available all over.