Buying Macbook in USA

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cattywampus_, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Cattywampus_ macrumors 6502

Hey,

I am going to Florida in a couple of months. I live in the UK. I am thinking of getting a couple of Macbooks (one for me and one for mother) while over there since they are about £200 cheaper over there.

Am I going to encounter any problems bringing them back? Like, I am not going to be stopped in the airports for customs or sommet? And, are there going to be any problems getting support in the UK on an American unit? I.e. if I want to buy Applecare in the Uk for them, thats not going to be a problem is it?

Thanks

2. slicedbread macrumors regular

I can't say too much about customs etc, since everyone's experience is different going thru.

But with regards to warranty, apple provides worldwide warranty so it should be covered fully to the same extent as a UK bought macbook would be. Same goes for applecare, it just extends the warranty to 3 years. So get it there, since it will be cheaper than applecare in the UK.

Only differences would be the plug adaptor for the power supply between US/uk models, and a slightly different keyboard on a US macbook compared to a UK one.

3. toontra macrumors 6502

My brother just brought me an iPod video back - saved £80. He often brings the family back iPods and Apple laptops. He's made the trip over 40 times and never once been stopped at customs.

It's a gamble, but the odds are very high on not having to pay import duty.