Buying Memory

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MatthewConnelly, Jan 1, 2007.

1. MatthewConnelly macrumors regular

MatthewConnelly

Well i've had my MacBook around 2-3 weeks now, and i'm very happy with my purchase. Don't miss Windows at all! :D I wanted to get a stock model so I could just walk in store and buy it, but now the time has come for me to buy some more memory.

It's a bit cheeky how they install 2x512MB sticks so you have to pay more to upgrade. I have the black MacBook so I have 1GB RAM, and I want to buy 2 new 1GB sticks. The only reason is the MacBook can start to lag if I have a lot of tabs open in FireFox and can be a bit slow when I first boot up. I also plan to start doing some more memory intensive tasks on the machine, so an upgrade is definitely needed.

Now i've had a look on the Apple website and it's a rip off (£240) for 2GB, and even the Crucial website is a bit expensive with their RAM selector tool, at £211 with VAT. Can anyone recommend me some RAM from a reliable manufacturer that will work faultlessly with my MacBook? I would be very grateful! Ideally I don't want to pay more than £180 with delivery, any cheaper would be a big bonus! I read the MacBook manual and the MacRumor's guide on how to upgrade the RAM, and it doesn't seem that hard, I just need help selecting it!

2. T-Stex macrumors 6502

Hi. I'm not sure if they would ship to the UK, or if it would be cheap enough to warrant doing, but I always recommend Data Memory Systems for any RAM purchase. They're pretty cheap, and guarantee their RAM for life. I'm not sure if that was too helpful, but I'm sure someone from the UK can offer you more help.

3. MatthewConnelly thread starter macrumors regular

MatthewConnelly

Thanks for the suggestion, but i'd prefer to buy from a UK based company.

4. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

5. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

I live in London and I got my ram from here. Works great. Was delivered fast.

www.aememory.co.uk

6. MatthewConnelly thread starter macrumors regular

MatthewConnelly

I think it's compatible, but it isn't in stock! As for that savastore, they're quite expensive.

7. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Crucial is quite expensive but you can be sure of getting the ram your Mac needs. Buying ram for mac's is a bit of a minefield.

Apple is a complete rip-off.

FJ :)

8. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I'm not sure if Newegg ships to your location but the G.Skill 2x1GB is less than $200 shipped and most of the reviews are from MB users.

9. MatthewConnelly thread starter macrumors regular

MatthewConnelly

I guess I might just have to shell the cash out then. Do you think it'll be easy to sell the memory in my MacBook now?
    Just had a look at their site.

# Does Newegg.com ship internationally?
    Newegg.com does not currently ship internationally; we only deliver to locations within the United States and to Puerto Rico.

10. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Hi,
    Not too sure, have a look on ebay and see how many people are selling and watch what price they are selling for.

I bought ram from Crucial for my G5 (4 Gb) and it has performed perfectly.

Cheers and happy new year from Ireland

FJ

11. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

Yeah everyone on this forum love Crucial, but it is pricy. You should try OWC.com (other world computing) i think......
    or newegg.com is always a safe bet.

12. MatthewConnelly thread starter macrumors regular

MatthewConnelly

I just took the plunge and bought the Crucial RAM. 2GB for £215 with 1-2 day delivery. I'm sure i'll notice the difference when I install it.

13. MatthewConnelly thread starter macrumors regular

MatthewConnelly

I'd just like to say that my RAM got delivered today, and it was very easy to install. Took around 10 minutes from start to finish, very impressed with the simplicity of it all. :D

14. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Congrats on getting it fitted. :)

That should speed up apps like Photoshop and other memory hungry programs.

FJ

15. kermit4161 macrumors regular

Matthew,

I was just going to post and noticed you got your RAM. For future info, I highly recommend OWC (www.macsales.com) for RAM. I've been ugrading classic macs at two different newspapers over the last few years and haven't been able to find better prices on RAM. They offer many different shipping methods/prices too.

Oddly enough, for new computer purchases, Apple can actually have better prices on RAM when ordering. I think this is the first time I've ever seen this phenomenon :)

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i second the recommendation for owc (macsales.com). they guarantee their products, and they have great support/customer service. as well as pretty competetive prices. check em out