Buying my first Mac...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Suzuki, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Suzuki macrumors member

Hello everybody! My first post to the forums, so be nice to me.

A friend of mine has converted me, and I'm about to splash out on my very first Mac.

Thinking of getting the 15" MacBook Pro, but have a few questions I want answered before I buy.

First, 5400rpm drive, or the 7200rpm drive? I've heard arguments for both, but have no idea which to go for.

Second, do I buy now, or wait for the outcome of WWDC? How long would any upgrades announced take to get into the shops?

Third, Leopard - 2007 before release? Or will it be soon enough that it's worth waiting so that I can get it included in the initial purchase of my MacBook Pro?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hello and welcome to Macs and MacRumors. Before we can say which drive you should get, it might be more helpful if you tell us what you plan on doing with the machine. As a rule, I'd recommend the 7200RPM drive and then maybe an external drive if you need the extra space.

Definitely wait 'til after WWDC. You may as well, it's not long to go now. Whether the products announced are either relevant or shipped promptly can only be speculated at this stage. Generally if it's a major product change then it'll take a little longer to ship. If an update to the MacBook Pro is announced, I doubt it'll be anything too major so it should be shipped relatively soon.

As for waiting until Leopard, I really think that's unnecessary. Just check back at the Apple Online Store post-WWDC and see what takes your fancy. :)

3. Suzuki thread starter macrumors member

Oops, should have given more information in the first place.

I will mainly be using it for webdesign, coding, email and internet, however I will also be using it for photo editing.
    I have a Nikon D100, and will be editing RAW files on it. I don't imagine I will be doing much (if any) video editing.

Since I'm only using static images, that's why I wondered if the faster drive was really all that important. I'd heard that it was noisy and sucked the battery's power?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Coolness. In real life terms, the faster hard disk will not change the battery times. I can't speak for the noise but I can't imagine the difference would be huge. I still reckon the 7200RPM drive would be ideal, but the 5400RPM drive will be fine too. :)

5. dragula53 macrumors regular

hey there

www.barefeats.com (those guys rock for unbiased performance tests on apple computers) tested 4200 rpm vs 5400 rpm drives a while back, and found no noticeable difference. I think they even got more life out of the faster drive? (takes more juice to spin a drive up for reading, and if you read faster, it is on for less time) at any rate, battery life was close. the performance difference is worth it.
    here's the quote:

WILL A 7200RPM NOTEBOOK DRIVE DRAIN MY BATTERY FASTER?
    The short answer is, "Probably not." You see, the 7200rpm drives are as much as 28% faster doing random reads and writes compared to the 5400rpm drives. They are as much as 80% faster than 4200rpm drives. Yet the Hitachi Travelstar 7K100 uses the same amount of power as the Travelstar 5K100. The Seagate Momentus 7200.1 uses only 10% more power than the Momentus 4200.2. The Momentus 5400.3 uses less power than the Momentus 4200.2. My theory is that the "speed to power" ratio is so good with the 7200rpm drives that the net effect on the battery is negligible.

6. Suzuki thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help! :)

Right then, I'll get the 7200rpm 100GB drive, in the 15" MacBook Pro.

I'm going to upgrade it to 2GB ram, but I'll buy it from crucial.com because Apple's prices for RAM are insane.

Now I've just got to persuade myself to wait a week or so for WWDC to tell me if I'll get a better laptop if I buy a month from now.

I don't like waiting. :(

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You don't have to wait a week. New product announcements (if there are any) will happen today. :)

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

WWDC and all it's product/software announcement begins in 4 hours, 23 minutes.

If you're doing RAW stuff, look into Aperture too, from what I hear it's a great program for organising your RAW workflow and photos.

9. blasto333 macrumors regular

Wait for today and see if a new Mac Book Pro Comes Out (Not Likely). You will want to get the 7200 RPM hard drive if you do a lot of intense video editing or just want faster performance.

10. Suzuki thread starter macrumors member

I already have, and it's one of the reasons I'm getting a MacBook Pro over the standard MacBook. Aperture wont run on the MacBook due to the poor graphics card it ships with.

I just hope my MacBook Pro is worth the additional money, and that I enjoy OS X as much as people keep telling me I will. I've been a Windows user in desktop environments all my life, so this will be quite a change.
    I work as a systems programmer, working mainly in Solaris and Red Hat, so shell work is second nature to me. That's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to OS X - having a unix shell under the covers! :D

11. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

That`s one thing I am damn sure is going to happen. Compared to WinBlows you`d absolutely love OSX` ease of use and nice GUI. I simply hate it when I cant use expose in XP. Just that one feature is more than enough to keep me away from windows.

12. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Wrong! Aperture works fine on MacBooks. Its just that if it goes wrong, Apple don't help you.

13. Suzuki thread starter macrumors member

Oh. The man in the Apple shop said it wouldn't work on the MacBook. He even showed me the Aperture webpage to corroborate his story. :confused:

So, is the Pro really what I should be buying? Is it worth the extra money to get the Pro rather than the standard MacBook?

I'm so confused. :(

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

In your situation, yes it is worth the extra money. Aperture will run on the MacBook but it will work much better on the MacBook Pro. Plus you get a larger screen to work with your photos when you're out and about.

Definitely go for the Pro.

15. Suzuki thread starter macrumors member

Aahh, a voice of reason in the nightmare that is Apple Advertising. :)

Right, I'm decided now. 15" MacBook Pro, with the 7200rpm drive, and an upgrade to 2GB ram from www.crucial.com

Now to just stop myself from changing my mind again! :rolleyes:

16. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

They say that so you get the more expenive/high margins MBP ;) .

17. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Congrats on the decision to make the switch :D

What do you plan on using your system for? Is the faster speed on the drive needed?

Please wait until after today's WWDC keynote to see if Apple announces updates to the MacBook Pro.

As per your Leopard question, Apple will provide some insight into the release date during Steve Jobs' keynote.

18. Suzuki thread starter macrumors member

Shhh, don't confuse me again. My fragile mind cannot cope! :eek:

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I really think the MacBook Pro is the right machine for you. The MacBook will run Aperture, but not terribly well. Considering this is one of the primary reasons for getting this machine, you want it to run smoothly. :)

20. Suzuki thread starter macrumors member

Well, after Steve's Keynote speech yesterday at WWDC, and no announcement for an upgrade to the MacBook Pro, and with Leopard not due for release for at least another 6 months, I've finally splashed out.

Bought the MacBook Pro with the following spec:
    MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.16GHz Intel
    2.16GHz Intel Core Duo
    1GB 667 DDR2 - 1x1GB SO-DIMM
    100GB Serial ATA drive (7200rpm)
    SuperDrive (DVD-RW/CD-RW)
    MacBook Pro 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
    Backlit Keyboard & Mac OS
    AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

When it arrives I'll buy an extra 1GB from crucial. :)

Apparently there is an estimated 5 day build time, followed by 3 to 7 days for delivery. All "business days" of course.

Estimated delivery date is 22nd August. I want it now! :(

I can't wait!!! :D

21. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.......... :D :D

That is dead-set awesome. Well done on your purchase, you should get plenty of milage out of it, especially with the fast HDD and 2GB of RAM.

Start saving up for a nice big external HDD and by the time OS X 10.5 Leopard comes out, with your MacBook Pro, Aperture and the file archiving abilities of Time Machine you will have to ultimate portable photo editing studio.

22. Suzuki thread starter macrumors member

Oooh, and I can have a silly signature boasting about what new shiny things I've got now!

:rolleyes: ;)

23. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's not silly when you can put "MacBook Pro" in your sig.

24. Suzuki thread starter macrumors member

:D

How do I now manage to wait till 22nd August without exploding?

25. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Buy another iPod, that's what I do...