Buying my First Mac.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 90003, Nov 14, 2006.

1. 90003, Nov 14, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    Nah, get the Mac Pro :p

Seriously - the Mini is a nice machine, and if you're going to use your PC for gaming, you should be perfect.

It is a learning curve, but as long as you're going to put time and effort into the mac (example, finding the mac program that does the job you want and not reaching for your windows comp) then you'll become quite the regular!
  3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2006
    that will be fine for running ilife apps and doing web/email etc, of course you wont be able to burn dvds but i assume you dont need to do that, if you sold your pc for extra funds and got a more powerful (graphics card) machine with extra memory you could install you xp licence on the mac and run both Operating Systems, windows for gaming and mac for everything else.
  4. extraextra macrumors 68000

Jun 29, 2006

You will need more than 512MB RAM to run those, unless you want to see a beachball all day!
  5. Josias macrumors 68000

Mar 10, 2006
    1.66 GHz Core Duo - Blazing, amazing and very fast. You should be fine.
    512 MB RAM - I would really recommend you on getting 1 GB. It will make it much more snappier, and will also make it last alot longer. It's only 50 pounds.
    60 GB HD - More than enough, OS X and iLife + all the loose take up around 17 GB, but then you have everything. Only thing I installed besides that is Microsoft Messenger and Offcie for Mac.

Since you will be gaming on your PC, the GMA is more than enough. It has around the performance of a Radeon 9600 (don't quote me for this).

I can strongly recommend LG monitors, cheap and very awesome. Also Apple mice and keyboard are IMO the best. If you already have this stuff, or want something else, the Mini is still an awesome machine. My favourite after the Mac Pro.;)
  6. 90003, Nov 14, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011