Buying new imac - advice please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by heathcottage, Feb 19, 2007.

1. heathcottage macrumors newbie

Jan 9, 2007
    cheshire, uk
    I'm going to buy a 20" iMac on friday from the trafford centre manchester uk apple store . It will be primarily used for semi-pro photography work and video editing for home and work, but family will continue to use Desktop & laptop PCs. A couple of questions for advice please.

- Considering purchasing final cut express. Good call?
    - Considering upgrading to 2GB RAM.
    - Currently use wireless router for broadband.Will this work with the imac?
    - As a new mac user is ProCare at £79 worth it. Am near the apple stores in Manchester every week so would be able to make use of the training facility. Does anyone have any experience of it?
    - Other options/equipment? What would you recommend.

Thanks in advance

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

Jul 11, 2006
    Final cut express is a good program, it may take you a little while to learn it.
    for the ram you can't have too much, but you my want to see if you can get it for cheaper somewhere else.
    Your router should work with the imac since it has a wireless card built in.
  3. kermit4161 macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2006

Definitely upgrade your RAM to 2MB.

Definitely get the Apple Care. It will pay for itself with one service call (speaking from experience). You can postpone the Apple Care purchase up until your 1 year warranty expires, however I've found that putting it off often prevents me from buying it (I spend the money elsewhere).

I would highly recommend getting the increased video RAM (256MB vs. 128MB). This will speed up your graphics work noticeably. I would put this right under upgrading the RAM in order of precedence.

I can't speak on Final Cut Express as I haven't used it. But if you are going to be doing a lot of video work, I'd say it'd be a real consideration. I've heard excellent things about the program.

Oh, and your wireless router will work fine with the iMac.

Hope that helps :)