Buying New MBP and upcoming WWDC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Blazer5913, Jul 10, 2006.

  1. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

    Jan 20, 2004
    Just a quick question.. I am looking to buy a new MBP for my freshman year in college, and need it by about mid-late august (I leave for Boston College Sept 1). I have the order form basically all filled out, but am weary about the upcoming WWDC. I always love this event b/c new and exciting products are announced, yet I have never had to buy around this time. Does anybody here think that I should wait for the WWDC (when is the actual keynote, as the event runs aug 7-11), and look forward to any significant improvements/revisions to the MBP? Or should I just get the thing now? Honestly, even if anything significant is announced, keep in mind I NEED the computer in my hands around mid august. The free ipod thing now is really of no concern. Thanks so much for the help guys! PS. I mainly do video work, alot of Final Cut, Motion, DVD Studio, and some photoshop
  2. gman71882 macrumors 6502


    Jan 12, 2005
    Houston, Tx
    You need a computer now, Get the computer now.
    @ WWDC The Keynote is usually always on the second day(Tuesday 8th)

    There IS a good Chance that the Core 2 Duo will be announced in the Laptops @ WWDC.. but there is also a GOOD CHANCE that you will not be able to get one for a while. Unless your able to buy directly from an apple store they prob wont ship for a few weeks after. Its a gamble to wait.
  3. fewture macrumors regular

    Jun 8, 2006
    I don't see the point of buying a new MBP just when they will release a new one with at least a new CPU, maybe slightly better design. It always sucks buying something just before they offer a revised model.

    You said you need it mid august, so I guess thats what dictates what you should do. Though Ive 'needed' computers in the past, Ive always been able to work around it when I didn't own one at the time. How much do you really need it? Can you work off other computers for a month or so? I would rather have a newer hopefully better designed laptop that will do everything I throw at it, than have to worry about potential problems etc (like heat, especially if you are doing a lot of video work).
  4. dmw007 macrumors G4


    May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    IF you can wait, then do so. But if you need/waant a new MacBook Pro now- then I would have no hesitation in buying one of the current models. The updated MacBook Pros will be faster, but not terribly so. The increase in performance from from Core Duo to Core 2 Duo will not be nearly so great as it was from PowerPC G4 to Core Duo. :)
  5. Collin973 macrumors 6502

    Mar 29, 2006
    If your college requires you to have a laptop, then definitely get it now, unless you want to do what I did...

    I've been waiting for the next revision of the MBP since they were released (mostly because I needed to save the money), but I do need one for college. To fill any gap that might happen, I purchased a used 12" Powerbook for around $600 and when I get my MBP I plan on selling it for the same price I bought it (so it works out you haven't lost any money and you have a laptop).

    That's one way of getting the new technology while still meeting your requirments.

  6. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a


    Jun 7, 2005
    Wow, that's not a bad idea. Also, your school will most likely have high end computers to work with. My school has a mac lab which has a pro and a regular room. The pro has Powermac G5's while the other one has emacs. These will probably both be upgraded this summer though.

    Either way, the school's computers are a way to get around needing your computer and you'll meet new people while you're there. Waiting for the right laptop makes it the more sweet when it finally arrives and you know that you have the latest and greatest.......for a few months;)
  7. amac4me macrumors 65816


    Apr 26, 2005
    If you can wait, I say hold off to see what (if anything) is announced. If an update/modification to the MBP is not announced, then go ahead and place your order. Otherwise, you may get upset if you ordered now and a revision was announced at WWDC.

    Good luck with your decision

Share This Page