Buying new printer, kindly need assistance

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CorvusCamenarum, Dec 16, 2004.

1. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Yay, my first post ever.

That being said, to complement the shiny new iMac I'll be ordering in a couple weeks, I want to get a new printer as well. All I've ever owned are HPs, aside from that one horrid dalliance with an Epson, but I'm looking for something that doesn't quite bleed this poor college student dry when it comes time to buy new ink. I don't know if it's a model-specific quirk or what, but having to spend $60 to replace both ink cartridges when only the black tank goes dry just won't do. As a writer, I generally go through 3 tanks of ink per term.

If someone could recommend something that's easy on the budget but gets fairly good ink mileage, I'd greatly appreciate it.
  2. AuPhalanx macrumors regular

Apr 23, 2004
    Wilkes-Barre, PA

I like the Canon I have. They always get good reviews. You can purchase one for about $100 to $150. The ink isn't all that expensive and they have seperate wells for each colour. (Here's a little trick, too: When the indicator says that I have to change an ink, I just remove and reinsert the same ink cartridge and all works well. I've been doing that for a while now with no bad prints or ill effects.)

I hope that this helped.

Have fun... Tony.
  3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Hi, try the Canon line up of printers (4000) model about $149 and some places have a mail in also. Ink is cheap and can be bought in(I think) sets for that model.
    I have a Canon i960, Epson R300 and I really like my Canon. I only use the Epson for printing on DVDS, everything else gets printed on the Canon.
    Enjoy your new Mac and which ever printer you choose :D
  4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    i've got a canon i560, its really solid, been using it all semester probably printed around 500 pages on my black catridge, I get my repalcements off ebay where they only cost a couple bucks and it all works the same.
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    With HP, you have to research the ink cartridges and their expected life, cost, and availability -- then find the printer.

But generally with them, the more expensive the printer -- the cheaper the per page cost.

Seems many printer companies have learned the Gillete Razor trick -- give away the device for next to nothing and make money on the refills -- and some have even added chips to the cartridges to make sure you don't refill em.
  6. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2003
    I recently purchased an HL-1435 Brother Laser Printer for $200 Canadian.
    I'm very pleased with it. Works well so far, installation was pretty simple, print looks great. Unless you're big on color prints (and if you're concerned about the price of ink cartridges, I'm guessing not) this is an awesome printer.
  7. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

Apr 16, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've got a Lexmark All in One. I print out a LOT during the semester, so much that I was thking of getting a laser printer. I've printed a bunch since I've gotten it, and I'm still on the cartridges that came with it. It also prints fast, and at a good quality.

8. Kirk macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2004