BUYING OLD PC'S?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SFVCyclone, May 13, 2005.

1. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

HEY i just recently got an idea, the other day i went to this second hand store and they had pc's there for sale, i dont know the cost of them but a monitors went for 30 bucks, i did buy one, well i got the idea that maybe i could buy the pc's, if cheap enough, to salvage their ahrd drive and reformat it. im thinking of buying several and turning them in to a RAID drive depending on their size. has anyone tried salvaging old pc hard drives and reformatting them? if so how did you go about putting them into the mac or did you make an external case? any advice would be helpfull.

SFVCyclone

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Not worth it.

Evern if you spent $150 on a RAID controller and ganged up 5 x 20 Gb drives, you have old, slow, unreliable hard drives. A Seagate or Maxtor 120 GB or 160 Gb 7200 RPM drive with 8 Mb cache would smoke the RAID for speed and cost less.

3. SFVCyclone thread starter macrumors 6502a

TRUE, yeah i just thought of it as more of a project/cool thing to do rather than a must. thanx for the info, i didn't know i even needed a raid controller. and very true about the old drives thing, those pc's look very old themselves.
    i was also thinking about just taking out the hard drive from the pc and see how much they would sell that for, i doubt the people there would know much about it. so most likely VERY cheap.
    hey another question, because i already have 2 drives in my mac a 40gb as the main and 120 as storage, both internal and take up the slots in the cables for the hard drive, what would i need if i wanted to get a couple more internal drives? i have a dual 800 G4 so there is space in there.