buying on itunes, and Copy Protected CDs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ehayut, Jun 29, 2005.

1. ehayut macrumors member

OK, two question:
    1) If I buy a CD off iTunes, will it be easy to transfer it to another computer, or to back it up somewhere OTHER than my ipod if i have to format my harddrive?

2)I can't read any copy protected CDs, even with my new DVD burner. Is it possible to rip these?

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

1. It is very easy to transfer songs/albums bought from iTMS to another computer. Just burn a CD or DVD (Data CD, not Audio CD) with the files and copy them onto another computer (PC or Mac). That way, you'll have 2 physical back-up in addition to the one on the iPod. You'll need iTunes on the second computer and you'll also need it to be connected to the internet for authorization.

Keep in mind that you have the ability to have your iTMS songs on up to 5 computers.

2. Don't know, but if you have audio-in ports, you could play the CD on a regular CD player and record the audio with the Mac. You'll need the appropriate cables and software, and you'll be working in real-time. Too much of a hassle IMO. Ethically, I guess it's OK to buy the CD and then go to a P2P to download the album sans copy protection.

3. ehayut thread starter macrumors member

So basically, if i format my HD 5 times, I lose the music?

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'd like to think that you don't have to reformat your HD more than 5 times. Actually, I think it's tied into the motherboard. But, before you reformat, you should unauthorise your machine (from iTunes menu) and then reauthorise it when you've got it all loaded up again.

If you should go beyond your 5 authorisations without deauthoring any, a button will appear in your account settings (where it currently tells you how many computers are authorised). Clicking that will reset your authorisations to 0, and you'll be able to start authorising computers again. Any machines that had your music loaded on won't be able to play it until you reauthorise it again.

5. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

When you reformat a computer, you will have to re authorize it, this also means that you have another of your 5 taken up. I always forget to de-authorize before I format. It's a good thing that feature is there thanks for telling my Applespider.

Another question related to this, how long does it take for a computer to be de-authorized if it hasn't been connected to the internet, is it 3 or 6 months?

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Are you asking if they will de-authorized the computer because it hasn't been on the internet for a given amount of time? I don't think that is the case. I think you have to manually go to the computer and de-authorize it yourself or once you get to 5 computers, you can de-authorize all computers and start over through iTMS.

7. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I read somewhere that in fact what I said is the case. They will de-authorize your computer if it hasn't connected to the internet for a certain amount of time. I'm just trying to figure out if it is 3 or 6 months.

8. ehayut thread starter macrumors member