Buying on Leopard Launch Day...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wrldwzrd89, Dec 29, 2006.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Anyone else making plans to buy a new Mac the day Leopard launches? I am. If I was to buy the Mac I've been looking at today, it would be basically a stock 24" iMac - the only change I want is a 2GB RAM upgrade, and I know the fine folks at my local Apple retail store could do that for me at purchase time (I asked them about this earlier).

My reasoning is thus:

I could replace two computers with one by running Windows on my new Intel-powered Mac.
    250 GB is plenty of space for me - I haven't outgrown it yet.
    The 2GB RAM upgrade is primarily to benefit Parallels, so I could allocate 1GB of RAM to the virtual machine. I wouldn't be running more than one VM at once.

2. D3LM3L macrumors regular

D3LM3L

Sounds great except there's a good chance you'll ge the iMac with Tiger and they'll upgrade for you (for free) to Leopard or give you a disk to do it or something. Something like this went on during Tiger's release.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I plan on buying leopard on or very soon after launch day. I thought it wasn't slated to release until spring 2007...which would mean it's at least 2 months away.

4. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yup, I made this plan knowing that that would happen, since I intend to do a custom install of the OS and applications anyway... I figured, why not kill two birds with one stone and take care of that at the same time I install Leopard?

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, 2 months at least. I reckon more towards late March/Early April.

It's got (and needs) a long way to go yet.

6. djkny macrumors 6502

may have to wait until WWDC -- 6/07 -- which is more like a half a year away and time wasted.

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

That's a good time frame if iLife '07 comes out sooner so that I'm not buying it all at once...or if I get a new Mac it gives me some time to think things through a tad bit better :cool:

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Yeah I'm planning on replacing the Mini I got in October as a stop-gap (my G4 really needed to be replaced) with a 24" iMac, decked out, but didn't want to pay for iLife '07 and Leopard. The Mini is going to my dad who has already agreed to buy it and wants it two weeks ago, but he'll have to wait a bit.

If they announce iLife and either don't set the release date for Leopard or set it too far out I will get the iMac now and just eat the $129 OS upgrade.

What I'm also really hoping for out of MWSF is either a Black 24" iMac or better yet the-often-speculated-a-lot-of-people-want-one MacProJr.-HeadlessiMac-Returnofthecube-Midtower-whateveryouwanttocallit.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL Roland, I'd make fun of you, because, *cough* it's not going to happen, but I'm also waiting for a not-going-to-happen product (subcompact). :(

I guess I'm on a fence between hanging on to my two Macs until Penryn comes out, or going for something else sooner. The iMac really doesn't feel old at all. The iBook is pretty relegated to basic tasks, but it is a champ still at those. And a half-pound-lighter-than-any-current-Apple-notebook champ at that. :)

Once piece of minimal advice is that if you end up ordering a BTO/CTO/customized Mac on the "day of," you're probably more likely to get it built out of the factory right, rather than having to get a drop in disc, although it'll also take a few extra days...

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Apple will not release an OS update at a convention like WWDC. They'll only announce a vague timeline for it.

I'll be pre-ordering it and getting my education discount on it. Plus, I see the OS coming a whole lot sooner than anyone else thinks. They want to steal Microsoft's thunder with the Leopard release, so I could easily see them going "SURPRISE!" at MWSF and saying that it's available at the end of the month or giving us a release date in February. Just because the seeds that have been released to developers may be buggy doesn't mean that Apple has the same version...

11. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I want to buy leopard the day it comes out - I want to camp right outside the door to the store and buy it ASAP.

12. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

I'll be replacing my Windows desktop. Although I'll probably give it a couple of weeks to allow the dust to settle.

13. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Is it a good idea to buy Leopard or iLife 07 as soon as there are released?

14. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Some wait till 10.5.2 is released, others buy it the very first day. Others buy it when they can. Just when you'd like, I know I'll buy it when it comes out, even if it has a few bugs, cause its an Apple OS

15. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I plan on getting an iMac + iPod about a week after MWSF and see what happens software/hardware and hope that they set a release date for Leopard. 10.5 is my main reason for wanting to switch since I wanna jump on the Apple bandwagon before having to get used to vista.

16. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Will UK Apple stores get Leopard on its release date?

Will UK Apple stores get iLife '07 on its release date?

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think, on their last respective releases, the US/UK release dates were simultaneous.

18. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

You are correct on that .. All apple stores get the first wave of *new* items then 2-4 weeks later the **resellers** get them :( :(

I have yet to see a new item come in @ the same time as apple gets it.. my work is usually the 2-4 week timeframe on new items

19. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

So true about the fact of the iMac not feeling old :p Mine isn't but as you pointed out the iBook keeps hanging in all the rounds (gf's is going to be two this spring). I think she would like to see a 13" ws MBP to upgrade from her iBook as I would love to have a "hope some day" mini tower or something like that :rolleyes:
    Guess once I pay for a family pack of each (iLife, Leopard) that's an upgrade cost itself for at least one of them but hey they sure can last :D

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

AD! :D

Yes, your iMac is still very much loved in my hands. ;) In fact I'm typing on it now!

And, since you mentioned it, I am not sure of the exact dates, but my iBook turned three the week before Christmas. :)

21. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

Buying a Mac on launch day doesn't make a ton of sense. You should wait until a little after launch, so leopard will be installed on your machine- espically consideing you're buying from an apple store and the imac you get could be weeks old.

22. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

He plans to do his own install ...