Buying online (without being charged tax)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tip, Apr 13, 2006.

1. tip macrumors 6502

tip

.... Seems like times may be changing.

Article link.

2. tip thread starter macrumors 6502

tip

... Continued

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Depending on your jurisdiction, this is nothing new. In BC for example, whether you mail order a product or carry it over a Provincial border yourself, you have always been expected to voluntarily report and remit the provincial sales tax.

Interesting exception though - anything that is a download is considered an intangible object (information) and is not subject to Provincial tax.

Re: Nexus -- even though a vendor may not have a presence in a particular jurisdiction, and therefore aren 't obligated to collect tax, they can still voluntarily register with that jurisdiction and collect and remit taxes on shipments to that area.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

This part is my favorite:
    "California residents pay a sales and use tax of up to 8.75 percent in some areas, one of the highest in the nation. Golden State laws are strict: If Californians travel to a state with a 5 percent tax and shop there, the law requires them to write a check to the state tax agency for up to the 3.75 percent difference upon their return."

Greedy ****s.

There's a reason I'm a libertarian. :mad:

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

This is all bunk in my opinion. Only the FEDERAL government has the power to regulate and tax interstate commerce. Since there is no federal sales tax there should be no sales tax for internet purchases.

6. Keebler macrumors 68030

oopsy

oh no. i bought a gps unit from alberta and shipped it to ON, thinking i could avoid the sales tax. i'm supposed to remit that then? doh

7. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

What a crock of S***... F you Uncle Sam... You know... i used to think i lived in the greatest country in the world... That changes a bit everyday...

Its bad enough that you take 30% of my paycheck every week... Now i have to remember to pay a sales tax on an 8 dollar watch band that i bought off the internet and shipped from Cali to Florida? :p

Whatever...

8. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

cant/wont happen

i highly doubth they come up with a way to be able to enforce this idea, they say they are taking "more aggressive" tactics, ill believe it when i see it.

9. tip thread starter macrumors 6502

tip

In all fairness, you're *supposed* to pay tax, so I don't see why people should get mad.

Anyway, with that said, unless the IRS gets the information from online retailers (similarly to how they're working with Paypal currently regarding offshoring transactions), I really don't see how this can be enforced. Possible with Amazon - impossible with eBay.

Heck, I'd rather not, since I bought some expensive items several years back (and don't have the receipts to them anymore).

10. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

What about the BILLIONS of dodged taxes every year by almost all Corporations "based" in the US?

people always forget about that when it looks like THEY might be the on audit chopping block.

thats right folks, keep looking the other way you might be in trouble.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It's funny, when you fill out your state tax forms, you are specifically asked, did you buy anything online in fiscal year X?

12. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

im going to venture to say that eBay wont count for most things.

yes if you buy something brand new from a BUSINESS on eBay you should pay taxes.

but if you buy something labeled brand new but its from someone just like you who never opened it and just wants to dump it on eBay, you shouldnt have to pay taxes because they have been paid by the seller when they bought it originally.

also you shouldnt be charged tax for buying that Rush album you lost in the great quake of '78 on eBay or things like that...