Buying Online Without Sales Tax

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by oldschool006, Dec 7, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I'll be visiting relatives who live in upstate NY and will need to purchase the Air online. Anyone know of an online retailer that will sell to a NYS address without charging sales tax?

Thanks.

2. macrumors 6502

Easiest would be ebay. I would also search who resells on amazon and then go through their websites (instead of amazon) and see if they charge NYS tax. Lastly, I would just google new Airs for sale and again see where they are based.

3. macrumors 6502

go to christiana mall and buy it. there's no sales tax there. if they dont have the model you like then just order it at the apple store online and have it ship to the apple store at christiana mall, and pick it up there. no sales tax.

4. macrumors 6502a

MacMall is another, reliable source. They have no retail presence in any state as far as I know. They carry all of Apple's products, charge no sales tax, and no shipping on a MBA, and often give a small discount.

5. macrumors regular

I believe MacMall would be a good option because they don't charge sales tax and they offer a discount (at least right now) on the Air.

6. macrumors regular

MacMall does charge NYS sales tax.:eek:

7. macrumors regular

Small Dog Electronics has 2012 Mini's and they don't charge NYS sales tax. I believe they ship from Vermont.

http://www.smalldog.com/Macs/Mac_mini

8. macrumors P6

dukebound85

you realize you are still legally required to pay sales tax right?

9. coldjeanzzz, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Macmall is a joke. An 8 GB 128 GB SSD 2012 Air costs:

$1267 for MBA
    +$12 shipping
    +$98 tax
    +$6 CA state recycling fee

Comes out to $1386

Edit:

Just for reference ordering from the Apple website it comes out to $1341 total if you use the education discount

So basically Macmall is shooting themselves in the foot with that ridiculous price. No idea why anyone would order from there

10. macrumors member

For me (in my state) there are few online stores anymore that don't charge tax so I don't have to worry about it.

11. macrumors 68000

53x12

Cricket cricket....