Buying PB outside Apple stores, Educational Disc?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by serge2k, Sep 19, 2003.

1. serge2k macrumors member

Hey,
    Im a switcher from a pc and im planning to buy the new powerbook 12". Now im guessing that they will charge tax in the online store, if i buy it off like one of the authorized reseller that macrumors.com advertises in their front page (no tax), would i still be able to get the educational discount from them? and yes i am a college student. Also are they able to cutomize the PB's as i want a 60HD with it, not the 40HD??

Tryint to save a few bucks bucks here...
    thanks for any info

2. Zeke macrumors 6502

Apple doesn't let any of the authorized resellers give educational discounts on systems. The only way to avoid the tax is if you can buy it through your campus store (to get the educational discount) and have them ship it somewhere outside of the state (at which point you can get it). That's what I'm looking at doing but my family lives 1200 miles away so I might have to find a friend in PA to send it to.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

hopefully arn can put this into the FAQ, it seems to be asked almost every week