Buying phones from amazon?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mark!, Sep 19, 2006.

1. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

Has anybody experienced anything with this?
    I haven't, and would like to know. To tell you the truth I haven't had any experience with any kind of phone service, or purchasing.

Thanks in advance :)

PS: I am kind of worried about it because they're all so cheap, to the point where sometimes they PAY you! But reading a review of a SLVR on amazon, I saw someone had gotten a phone, already activated (how most of them come) and the number that was given to him was not a number from his local area (long distance) and it was expensive for him to call. here is the review:

thanks in advance!!

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I ordered 2 Sony T610s back in the day for my wife and I through T-Mobile off of Amazon. The rebates made it so we got $50 for each phone. Rebates came back fine and the phones were great. I still use mine, but my wife replaced hers because it was dropped, but that was after over a year of use.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

most of these phones are with two year contracts and a service provider, I assume you know this right, thats why they're so cheap ....

the guy might have had it shipped to his work address or something and I mean cingular will switch your number for $10 I think.

4. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I've bought many mobiles off amazon. No problems.

They've had that rebate thing for many years. You get a phone for free and a few bucks to boot.

I wouldn't buy a phone anywhere else.

5. mark! thread starter macrumors 65816

mark!

Thanks guys :)

But when you received the phone it was activated, and the number was provided already, correct? I'm just worried they'll give me a long distance number which would be expensive (long distance meaning not in my area. ie. my area code = 812 and they might give me 619 which is like 2000 away, and long distance is hella expensive)

6. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I had to call T-Mobile to activate my phones and they gave me a local number. I don't konw if they still work that way or how other carriers will work.

7. mark! thread starter macrumors 65816

mark!

How long ago was that, anyway?

I looked up the phone & it doesn't look all that old.