Buying Powerbook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by DownSetDana, Jun 26, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey guys, im buying a Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz, it has 2GB of RAM, and a 100GB hard drive. Tiger of course and Applecare, I know the guy personally and he is selling me this for $1000, I'd say its a really really good deal, lemme know what you think.

Edit: I have used it, and Its in absolute mint condition except for a slight ding on the back of the laptop, other than this, its mint, everything works.

2. macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I think that's a really fair deal. Goodluck with your powerbook and make sure to back up your information frequently.

3. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That does seem like a good deal given that the 15" PB 1.67 GHz 512MB/80GB refurb sells for $1349.

B

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dunno what to do

A bunch of people are telling me to buy a regular MacBook now, is it worth it. I need some suggestions plz

5. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What are you planning to do with the machine? Is it your first Mac.

The Similarly priced MacBook will be faster for universal binaries, but will only have a combo drive and 512MB of RAM, plus you'll have to buy your own AppleCare. If you configure a MacBook similar to the PB it would bring the price up to $2200 for a new one...

B

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Re:

I plan on doing some video editing, and photo editing, along with everyday activities such as Internet and Adium, and well, also, I just think the PB is the sexiest notebook out there :D , but yea, Maybe some audio editing also. So Im leaning towards the powerbook, and yes it is going to be my first mac. I have alot of experience with one, I have just never owned one. (my friend has one, and I use one for editing at school). I love the OS, and I can't wait for Leopard. And for $1000, its seems decently priced considering the specs it has.

7. macrumors regular

Given what you are planning to do with it, I would suggest spending a bit more and getting a Macbook, with at least 1G of RAM.

It's definately a good deal you have there with the PB, but for what you want to do, I'd suggest going for the new Macbook.

8. Guest

iGary

You might want to find out if she needs to run any non-native apps like Photoshop. ;)

9. macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

Get the Powerbook. I have the same spec machine, and after 9 months, I still think it is awesome.

And it comes with a non-glossy screen for free. :)

10. macrumors G4

dmw007

That machine for only $1,000???!!!!

I would definitely say to buy it DownSetDana! :)