Buying Powerbook Memory in the UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by danielrobot, Apr 26, 2005.

1. danielrobot macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

well, a lot of searching has failed to answer my question and I apologise if this seems obvious, but -

I'm thinking of chucking some more memory into this 12" Powerbook, and was wondering if anyone knew any reputable (preferably online) sources for the UK?

If researching this topic has taught me one thing it's that there are trusted sources for memory - OWC, Newegg etc - and these do ship to the UK at manageable prices. Surely, though, there's an equally trusted outlet in the British Isles that I could use?

And if I could sneak an extra question in here while I've got your attention, what's wisest - would adding 512mb to my current 256mb provide a noticeable leap in performance, or should I stop being so stingy and swing for an extra 1gb?

Thanks a lot for any help (and, I might add since I want to seem nice, the help I've managed to get just reading this forum since switching last year).

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

www.crucial.com/uk/

Use the memory selector at the top of the page. Good service, fast (special) delivery, have never let me down.

Unfortunately, we don't have the range of suppliers and competitive pricing available to our US friends.

Get the gig. :)

3. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Life time warrenty as well :) Can't go wrong with crucial.

4. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

i've just put 512mb in this 12" powerbook and noticed a big improvement. couldn't afford the 1GB for the one slot tho.

went to crucial in the end. cheapest for 512MB others were cheaper for 1GB tho.

5. robshakir macrumors newbie

www.jigsaw24.com aren't the cheapest, but you'll get good service :) Crucial can't be argued with.

Rob

6. petej macrumors regular

Just stuck a 1G Kingston module in my 17in PB G4 1.33. Much cheaper than Crucial for 1G. Ordered from SMCDirect via a link on the Kingston UK memory selector link 136 GBP inc VAT + Shipping. It took almost a week to arrive. The supplied Kingston module KTA-PBG4333/1G was infact a Samsung module (in my case) part number M470L2923BN0 (B3). The spec sheet of the Samsung board compares well with the spec sheet of the original Hynix module. So far no kernel panics or any other upsets. Running the PB with a total of 1.5GB has certainly given it a perceptible performance boost. There is a lot less hard disk activity. iPhoto seems to like the extra memory as does FCE, hopefully tiger will too.

7. danielrobot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses everyone - I've just taken in a deep breath and ignored any financial sense I have to order a Kingston branded 1gb stick. No way I could have afforded the Crucial gig but once the gig idea was planted, oh I had to have it some way...

Cheers for the advice!

8. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

You also might want to check out www.ebuyer.com. They are generally cheaper than Crucial, but just make sure you buy the right type of RAM. (Crucial or Kingston will be able to tell you what RAM your PB needs).

Ebuyer have a Kingston 1GB for £133 here:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=55306

And a cheaper one here for £126 which should also work (but doesn't specifically say it is for Macs):
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=65739

9. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Another vote for Crucial. The selector tool took all the guesswork out of buying the correct memory, they delivered next-day for free and the price wasn't bad either! Flawless performance to date.