Buying Pre-Owned, Can I re-register and buy AppleCare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kaisey, Sep 24, 2006.

1. kaisey macrumors newbie

Assuming still within qualifying period, if I buy a pre-owned powerbook or ibook, can I have that registered to my name, and buy applecare for it. Or because it is not the original owner, it doesnt apply? thanks. :p

2. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Yes you can. I did that exact thing and haven't had any problems thus far.

3. kaisey thread starter macrumors newbie

sweet

thanks!
    do I need the seller to do something?

4. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

I don't think the seller needs to do anything. Mine hasn't needed to go into repair yet, so I'm not positive. It probably wouldn't hurt to get a copy of the original receipt it they have it.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

the main thing you'll need from the seller is a copy of the original receipt from when it was first purchased. That's so you can prove the date of its first sale which shows that the computer is still eligible for the extended warranty

6. coal macrumors regular

coal

I don't think you even need the original receipt. If you go here and place the serial number for the computer in the lower right hand box, Apple will give you an estimated date for the original sale of the machine and also tell you how many days you have left in which you can add AppleCare.

If you're not transferring (which is entirely different) and just adding AppleCare, it's as easy as purchasing the product and following the registration steps online.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

yeah, generally true.....but I know from personal experience that sometimes Apple has the wrong info. But If you have the invoice, they'll accept that as proof.

A few years ago a company that I do work for bought a Mac from an authorized reseller and after a few months the CD burner died. They called Apple and were told that Apple's records showed that the computer had been bought 9 months before they had purchased it. Who knows how that date got into their system. But the thing is since my client had the receipt from the reseller showing a different date, Apple readily accepted that as proof of the date of purchase and they did warranty repairs based on that date.........of course this is an atypical situation but I've seen other posts on here from people saying that apple's records were wrong for their computer too.

So, it's worth it to get a copy of the receipt just to cover yourself