Buying ram for an iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by monke, Aug 11, 2005.

1. monke macrumors 65816

monke

How easy is it to change the ram in an iBook?
    Also would any of these work?
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Ram.JPG
      Ram.JPG
      File size:
      30.6 KB
      Views:
  2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

It's quite easy. Google for a guide.

The 2700 RAM might work, but I wouldn't risk it, especially at those prices. Go to datamem.com and buy memory that is guaranteed to work on your computer. It's also cheaper.

3. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

4. Yoyodyne macrumors member

5. dallasuo macrumors member

Which ibook is it for? If it is for the last rev. then the 2100 or 2700 would work, but the 2700 would just run at 2100 speed. If it is for the most recent rev. then the 2700 would run at full speed. At least this is my understanding. They also need to be 200 pin SODIMM

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Aaaaaagh, Nooooo.

First of all, please choose your RAM from a reputable vendor who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Mac, offers a lifetime waranty and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

Second, PC2700 means absolutely nothing except that the RAM will function at 333 MHz clock speeds*. It doesn't tell you the format, size or compatibility.

"Hey, will this tire fit my Honda?"
    "It says it's a radial tire, Hondas use radials, so it should fit"
    "Don't I need to know the size?"
    "Naw, it says right on it it's a radial"

What's wrong with that conversation? Same thing. You can't determine compatibility from an incomplete specification.

Third: NONE of the RAM in the post are the correct format for an iBook.
    DDR-2 RAM is the complete wrong type.
    184 pin RAM is DDR DIMMs that fit in desktop machines - not laptops.

The current iBook G4 models take PC2700 DDR SODIMMs, older iBook G4's take PC2100 DDR SODIMMs and the iBook G3's take PC100 SDRAM SODIMMs.

Please, as mentioned earlier, take your requirement to a vendor who knows what macs are, like www.datamem.com

Discount places like NewBestTigerEggFryBuy.com will not guarantee compatibility - you are on your own. That might be an acceptable risk if you are a Mac hardware adept and have the time to return modules if they aren't right. But not for a new Mac owner.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

* Edit - to be perfectly accurate, it is a 167 MHz buss with Double Data Rate, which times an operation to both the rising and the falling edge of the clock, therefore 2 x 167 = 333 MHz operation.

7. The_Man macrumors 6502

The_Man

I dont mean to hi-jack this thread but I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I can find benchmarks to see how well the current iBooks perform with certain amounts of RAM? Also, what is the program used for getting a score based on the performance of your computer, I have seen it around this site but can't remember what its called? Can anyone help me?

(I really didn't want to start a new thread, so this is where I posted.)

Thanks

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

9. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

What brand of RAM does Apple use anyways in the iBooks? I've seen the stock chips before and they have this big "M" logo on the sticker. What company is that?

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Apple uses several brands, the 256 and 512 Mb SODIMMs tend to be Micron Technologies, the 1 Gb Powerbook RAM are almost always Samsung.
    Desktop RAM they use Hynix, Micron, Samsung and IBM pretty much interchangeably.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apple choose RAM brands purely on who is offering the best price at the time from memory.

BAHAHAHAHAHA! :D

Sorry, it's been a long day and I swear that's the funniest pun I've ever seen. Maybe I should go and have a lie down for a while...

12. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Maybe so...

;)