Buying RAM for my first Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ouphe, Jul 17, 2005.

1. ouphe macrumors regular

Now, I am certain I've seen this covered several times, but glancing back on the last couple of days, I couldn't find what I was looking for, so I thought I would ask (in hopes that someone could either give me an answer, or give me a link to one of the old posts that has the answers).
    I'm buying a Powermac with dual 2.0 GHz processors..the one with 4 slots for RAM. It's coming with the standard 512 MB. My question is, do I absolutely HAVE to have doubles if I get, say, one of those 2 Gig sticks? Also, will the 2 Gig sticks work with this particular model of Powerman (I thought I read somewhere that they don't work with some computers). Also, I'm planning on having at least 2 gigs of RAM as soon as possible...should I snag 3 more 512 sticks, or go ahead and invest in the 1 gig sticks? Maybe a 1 gig and a 512, using 3 slots, leaving another for later? I guess I'm just not sure what the limitations are for how you install RAM.
    Any help or links would be greatly appreciated. I'm excited: this is going to be my first Apple computer! Wooo!
    Thanks!

-Colin

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yes, you need to have the memory in the Power Mac G5 installed in pairs (ie- 2x512MB Dimms) So go for the 1GB Dimms (not sure the 2GB Dimms will work for you).

3. ouphe thread starter macrumors regular

I just looked on Crucial, and it recommended I use 184-pin DIMM DDR PC3200, 1 gb. They are about 126 dollars apiece on their site...a bit cheaper on ebay,
    I think. I couldn't find the same on eBay. Any hidden places I can find that kind of memory, or something else that works on my machine, fairly cheap?
    And does anyone know if that 2gig-per-stick memory would work on it?

Thanks!

-Colin

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Try searching newegg.com or otherworldcomputing.com for RAM.

5. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Save yourself a lot of pain and aggravation-- don't get crap RAM. You bought a G5 so pony up and get some good RAM.

G5's are picky. Kernal Panics suck, so get RAM from crucial.com or macsales.com (otherworldcomputing).

Crap ram is a waste of time. It may work, but it has a higher probability of not working.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would recommend going with Crucial RAM, they have a lifetime warranty. Most everyone on this forum has been very pleased with the service. Very important that you get the correct RAM for your Mac.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

As do I - Crucial RAM is the way to go. Your Power Mac G5 is the best computer in the world, give it the best RAM.

8. ouphe thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds like crucial will be the way to go. Thanks a lot for everyone's advice. I've known that I would need a Mac for my profession (graphic design) since I started school, but I didn't get really excited about it until I started reading these forums!
    Thanks for everything!

-Colin

9. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

I'd personally avoid newegg unless you have a particular model number you can search for.

Aside from that, I'd go to some place that sell "Apple" ram and guarantees compatibility. Crucial guarantees compatibility but is not necessarily the best.

You can go to places like:

18004memory.com
    memoryx.com
    crucial.com

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

There are no 2 Gb modules compatible with any Macintoshes
    You must get pairs of modules in a G5 tower - it's mandatory

Compare Data Memory Systems

11. ouphe thread starter macrumors regular

Looking through those different sites you guys gave me, it looks like Data Memory Systems has probably the best deal for a pair of 1gig sticks ($238).
    Thanks again for everybody's advice!

-Colin

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

No problem, always glad to be of service.