Buying RAM for PB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by shortyjj, Apr 21, 2004.

1. shortyjj macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2004
    I've read in multiple places that you're essentially a fool for not upgrading the memory chip when you purchase. But does it make sense to pay $100 now for 512 and an empty slot than buy an extra 512 for $140 and have 768 total (but no empty slot)? I don't see why I'd need more than 768 within the life of this machine.

On a side note, why is the superdrive so much incentive for people to buy? Do that many people burn DVDs?
  2. advres Guest

Oct 3, 2003
    I bought my 2 512 chips from for my PB. I found 1Ghz to be very useful for what I do. If you feel it is more worth your while then just upgrade via Apple.

As far as the superdrive. You can fit a whole lot of data on 4.7G compared to 700M. DVD are not just for movie watching. I think it is a great way to backup data now that DVD media has become so cheap.

just my $0.02
  3. agentmouthwash macrumors regular

Aug 15, 2003
    wow I cannot relate to this post at all..
    Not only do I burn about 5 DVDs a week,
    I need all the RAM i can get to run programs like
    Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, and Protools.

Why did you buy a powerbook?
    You probably only needed an iBook if
    768mb of Ram is enough for you.
  4. shortyjj thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2004
    Why did you buy a powerbook?
    You probably only needed an iBook if
    768mb of Ram is enough for you.[/QUOTE]

If I'm going to spend an extra $100 for the Airport card, isn't it worth it to splurge a little to get the better processor, video card and HD?

You're right, I don't NEED a PB, and neither do alot of potential purchasers on here, yet the advice they most often receive is "get the PB if you can afford it"

I understand the point about backing up, but I bought a Firewire drive for that purpose.
  5. gemio17 macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2003
    ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY right-the powerbook is just toooo nice even if you don't need it- maybe someday you will!
  6. shortyjj thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2004
    Thanks for the comments, but I'm still waiting for someone to address my main question:

Am I a fool for using the second DIMM to upgrade memory, and limiting myself to 768?
  7. gemio17 macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2003
    why would you be a fool? if you have the cash-do it, and on that point why would you be limiting yourself? Someone out there usually needs/wants what you're selling (although no one wants it-try to sell off the 256's that you have, or trade it for something-just like lotto-hey, you never know!) The only foolish thing usually is to buy your memory thru Apple. I bought the 15" pb in feb, and have not bought more ram, for no other reason then I don't have the extra $$-1gb seems to be around $500 and that's a dream at this point. if you have $250 why not get two 512 and chill with that for a while. Obviously if you don't need it, you'll be set for a while, but I can't see how it would hurt to have more ram than you need.
  8. shortyjj thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2004
    Well, I went to the Apple store to get my machine, so now I'll probably add a 512 chip, and if it's not enough somewhere down the line, I can always get the 1G chip (memory prices will come down, right?)

Btw I love this thing. It makes me giddy. I wonder if Windows laptop users ever get this feeling.
  9. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2003
    i had the same debate as you. in the end, i got the single 512 dimm. i figured if i am spending over 2000 on the powerbook, i might as well give myself every option to make my computer as good as possible. 512 might certainly be enough for my needs, but if i need more it will be easier and cheaper to upgrade. and certainly a gig of ram is great for any computing you do.
  10. interstate8 macrumors newbie

Apr 22, 2004
    Sea Town
    removable, right?

I'm still confused on this...

Both slots are removable, right? If that's the case, why wouldn't you buy a 512k from crucial for $128 and throw it in slot one? That way you'd start off with 768k for an extra $128, instead of 512k for an extra $100 (and you'd have 512k in slot one either way).

Or do you always want Apple memory (which I've heard is crucial anyway) in slot one?

I'm lost more often than not, but I don't always know it :confused: . Am I off the mark here? A little help, please...
  11. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    I just asked a simular question thread . Or at least that question was on my mind when I asked about memory.

I am pragmatic, I purchaced the max up front, instead of wasteing money on upgrading later. I found a 1Gb Micron PC2100 DDR for about 350 at I am particular about memory, and I hate wasteing money. For my new 1Gz 12" I figured it was best buying what I need up front.

Also- the 12" only has one open slot, makeing progressive up grading more expensive.
  12. jalagl macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2003
    Costa Rica
    I faced a similar question when I bought my powerbook last August. I didn't have the money to buy the extra RAM right away, so I decided to wait until I had save enough to get the full GB (2X512MB memory modules).

Turns out I use the PB mainly for Java development, and running Eclipse on a PB with only 256MB of RAM is close to impossible. I had to buy the RAM within a month to able to continue using the computer, but I only got one 512MB module, instead of the two I had planned.

Turns out that upgrade really, REALLY, speed up the machine. I've been using it with 768MB since last september, and am really happy with the performance. I am still getting the second 512 module, but more as a luxury than an actual need - and I'm holding off the purchase until I get some disposable income :)

Anyway, that's my tale. Your mileage may vary.