Buying RAM for Powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dpwrite, Jan 7, 2004.

1. dpwrite macrumors newbie

I would like to buy 512MB of extra RAM for a new 12" PB I am about to order. I would order the RAM with a BOT through the apple website, but it is very expensive that way. What manufacturer do you all suggest for the RAM, or is it essentially a commodity item and one is as good as another? I have online prices of $130 for GVP, $150 for Edge, and $160 for Kingston.

Also, is it easy to install yourself? Would I invalidate the warranty if I opened up the computer to install it? Thanks in advance.

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

Re: Buying RAM for Powerbook

you should do some research, as this question is asked many times...

i personally got mine from crucial. there's an online memory selector, but basically, you need non-parity, CL=2 PC 2100 DDR SO-DIMM memory.

no, it's not that difficult to install.
    no, it will not void your warranty.

3. InsiderTravels macrumors member

InsiderTravels

RAM

I've been researching 12" PB RAM chips myself. The cheapest I've found is EDGE for $119 (510 MB). I'd really like to get a 1 GB module, but those are still $500-700, depending on where you get them.

I had a problem with an EDGE RAM chip once before, but when MacZone wouldn't take it back, I called Peripheral Enhancements (they make EDGE) directly and they sent me a new one with no problem. I think I just got unlucky and ended up with a faulty one the first time.

Apple claims they use higher quality RAM and have more qualified installation techs to make sure everything runs properly. I think that's why they claim the higher price is justified. I've never bought additional RAM from them because I haven't been able to afford it, but I figure if you do spend the extra money to buy directly from Apple, your memory may be covered under your warranty.

You CAN install RAM yourself without voiding your warranty. I've verified that with Apple. It's a user-installable part, just like Airport Extreme cards are. It's quite easy to install RAM; I think it would be somewhat difficult to screw it up. I think the manual that comes with your powerbook has installation instructions for both memory and wireless (with pictures), so you should be able to follow that if you need to.

4. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Go to www.dealram.com and do a search for the ram you need. Also, check out Other World Computing (eshop.macsales.com), they're a good dealer.