Buying RAM in Japan

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by floatingspirit, Feb 24, 2004.

1. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

Any folks got advice on where/how to buy some good and also reasonably priced RAM here in Japan? I just took the plunge:D and bought a G5 1.6.:p No more waiting!!! I'm in the market for adding another 512mb... Otherwise, my roommate's girlfriend will bring some over when she visits. If it comes to that, does anyone have a reason why I shouldn't go with the cheaper priced Transintl.com rather than Crucial?

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

It's a good thing Crucial has a web site for Japan.

Crucial makes 100% Mac compatible RAM, which a lot of forum member purchase from instead of overpriced RAM direct from Apple. Excellent customer service, life time warranty, quality RAM, and there's always a discount.

3. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

I was going to recommend you go to Akihabara and visit Akibakan, but then I saw your location.
    However, you can order from their site here .
    Their price will probably be about the same or cheaper than crucial, and the quality is top notch. Check it out.

4. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

You can buy RAM at most electronics stores but the price is usually a bit high. The smaller local shops are sometimes better than the large chains. Many of the larger cities also have an Apple reseller, usually tucked away in a hard to find location. Avoid Yodobashi Camera as I have found that they often will sell you the wrong part. Most other electronics stores (denkiya) are fine. I have made purchases from almost all of the major chains as well as several local stores. The quality depends on the brand of RAM you choose but most are okay.

5. floatingspirit thread starter macrumors 6502