buying ram in sydney

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by |_wise_|, May 6, 2004.

1. |_wise_| macrumors newbie

Apr 18, 2004
    sydney, australia
    ok so i know that there are several posts about places to buy and the price.

My question is whether there is much of a difference in the ram that you can get. I am looking for 512mb and the best price i have found online is about $200.

However i found at my local store:
    512MB DDR SO DIMM Notebook Memory = $188

any comments/advice/suggestions?

2. kewpid macrumors regular

Apr 17, 2003
    Are you getting RAM for an iBook or a PowerBook?

The store I'd recommend is MacMall. You might also want to look at MacShack, which claims to have the lowest memory prices.
  3. Ignoramus macrumors newbie

May 7, 2004
    I'm not too sure if generic ram from the local pc store would work as i've heard of compatability issues. It's probably better to get it from someplace that has some experience with macs such as macmall as kewpid suggested. Alternatively get it from as they offer lifetime warranty and their reputation is very good. Currently 512 MB DDR2100 is US$116.99 + US$20 postage. At the current exchange rate it comes roughly to a total of AU$190 or so (need to add credit card conversion fees which is usually bout 1.5%). I'm going to get mine from there
  4. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    Macmall is about $220 but Nextbyte might be cheaper...
  5. |_wise_| thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 18, 2004
    sydney, australia
    yeah sorry i forgot to mention - it is for an ibook.

i'm not too sure about buying from crucial, i mean the price works out all right but if it did fail it would be a bitch.

id rather buy locally for the support.

what are you doing aswitcher? has your powerbook arrived yet?

6. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Nextbyte's quote over the phone is ' around $210 for 512Mb'. Get them to fax you a quote and take it into your reseller and they should match the price. I am getting mine from Applecentre broadway for tsame price as NextByte. ;)

7. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    #7 sells it for $162 AUS + $20 s/h to AUS. Get something that's guaranteed to work and won't fry the system.