Buying Refurbished?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by powerboy, Jul 3, 2004.

1. powerboy macrumors regular

I am considering buying a refurbished dual 1.8 G5. I would like to hear about peoples experience with refurbs. Have you had quality issues or performance problems or were they relatively problem free? If you have purchased a refurbished Apple, I would like to hear from you.

Thanks!

2. davebl macrumors member

I bought a refurb Dual 2 ghz G5 and refurb 20" Cinema Display. The display is absolutely perfect. My G5 is cosmetically perfect, but I had some noisy fan issues. I also purchased AppleCare with the system so an Apple Tech was at my house 3 days later to replace my power supply.

So my vote is go for it, but just get the Apple Care.....

Dave

3. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i got a refurbished imac last september, and i couldn't be happier...
    actually i could; i think mine is a bit louder than it should be...
    but still, go for it, especially since the g5's were recently updated, it's a great deal!

reality

4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Ask yourself this.

Would Apple sell it if it wasn't Apple worthy? :p

5. rtdunham macrumors 6502a

rtdunham

one customer's refurb experience

Here's some info i posted on the apple support discussions, re: my refurb purchase:

*there can be drawbacks to refurbs
    =======================
    Originally Posted by Multimedia:
    The "Old" Dual 1.8 & Dual 2 G5's Are Still At The SALE Page. I know this sounds like a broken record, but it is amazing to me that these bargains are still in stock...
    =======================
    Multi, I agree these are really good deals. In fact, i just bought one of the (refurb'd) dual 2.0s myself (you and i exchanged a few thoughts on the forums before i jumped!) Anyway, I know you had an exceptionally positive experience, got more machine than you bargained for. I had a few relatively inconsequential setbacks after mine arrived. I'd probably buy a refurb'd again, but i thought i should point out a few of the things that can go wrong.

1) when i went to add my 2nd drive the drive guides were missing from the panel to the left of the drive bays. Most likely the prior owner had a 2nd drive and when he/apple removed it, they didn't return the drive guides to the proper holding spot. Drive guides aren't a big deal in size or cost, but since they prohibit installation of the extra drive, functionally they're a big deal.
    2) the first two times i called apple care to get the drive guides sent to me, apple refused to field my response because i wasn't giving them a "valid" serial number for the computer. Yet i was reading it off both the outside of the box AND the reconditioned sticker-with-barcode inside the cpu, and those numbers matched. I wasn't going to hook up a monitor yet, but they said the only way they'd deal with me was with a correct s/n--which they said i could get by booting the machine, and looking at "about this mac" under the apple menu--you double click the OS info and the s/n appears.
    3) After an hour drive to borrow a monitor (variety of reasons why that was preferable to disconnecting my 23" from my G4, which i was using also) of course, the s/n shown there was, of course, the same s/n that appeared in the other two places.
    4) called apple a third time. this time the s/n (same one i'd been giving them) showed up on their records. This was 3 days after the 'puter ARRIVED here, btw. They said that altho i paid to have the G5 overnighted to me, they could not expedite shipping of the drive guides, it would be 7-10 days. They suggested i get them instead from a local authorized apple service center. I knew of two, they gave me the numbers of two others--all these in other cities--and i called all 4 AND the apple store in a nearby city. None had that part.
    5) I called apple back. they reiterated they could not overnight the parts, NOT EVEN AT MY EXPENSE, but that the service centers could order parts that WOULD be overnighted to them. So I started calling them back. The first one i called said they coldn't just phone in an order for the parts, they would have to wait for an apple rep to visit the store, which is when they place orders, so they couldn't get it here any quicker than apple's 7-10 day estimate via snail mail.
    6) So i called apple back and surrendered to having them mail me the parts that should have been in my computer in the first place.
    7) Since i had the computer booted i ran software update, and noticed it wasn't updating to the iLife4 apps...and there was no garage band on the computer, nor any DVD from which i could install it. Called apple again. the rep said it must have gotten overlooked, and he'd mail me one. 7-10 days. He sounded like it wasn't uncommon for some of the normally-included software to be mia.

My point, of course, is that a refurb can arrive not quite in the condition you expect, and the process for bringing it up to specs can be inconvenient.

Through all of this apple's people were very courteous. But they had inadequate documentation of my order (as in, "none"); they suggested solutions that didn't work in the real world; and i think the apple policy making it impossible to get a part omitted from a product sent quickly, even when the customer agrees to pay for that expedition, is not good customer service.

And damn, I love the computer. It's the ideal match of specs & price for which i was waiting.

peace
    terry