Buying Refurbs - do I need the internet?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by paxtonandrew, Oct 5, 2006.

1. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

May 10, 2004
    I Come From A Land Down Under
    I am about to travel to the USA, and I plan to replace my Dead PowerBook with something over there. I was looking at the AppleStore "Save" page, and a PowerBook caught my eye, which I plan to purchase, which leads me to my question. Can I walk into an Apple Store, and ask for a Refurb, or do I have to buy a Refurb over the Internet?

I am not staying anywhere residential - quite the contrary, I am staying in Los Angeles, and doing all the touristy things, with a Stop-Off in Hawaii on the way home, so purchasing over the Internet, and having it delivered is impractical. However, if I was to walk into a store, and physically ask for a Refurbished PowerBook, would the staff do it? Conversely, is there an Apple Store in LA, that deals with Refurbished machines only?

I am asking, as the greater population here is from the USA, and if I was to ask elsewhere, I don't imagine that I would receive the same information.

2. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    can't speak for usa but in sheffield store they have store returned stock that they sell as refurbs - slightly more then the apple online store refurbs btw
  3. thworple macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2005
    Sussex, England

Yeah, its the same at the Regents Street store too - although when it occurs the pile of refurb stock seems to disappear within 24 hours!!
  4. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2006
    The Kitchen
    I've found that it is genarlly hit or miss on finding a refurb in the stores here in the eastern US. You can , however, order a refurb over the phone...
  5. NeoMac macrumors regular

Feb 10, 2006
    I spoke to Apple store employees recently and they informed me that Apple retail stores do not sell refurbs they sell "refreshed” which are the returns. Refurbs are only sold on line. They also explained that refurbs are products that had defects that had to be repaired while refreshed means that a customer returned them because that wanted a different model or something like that. I did hear that from employees, so for whatever that’s worth. You can always call an Apple retail store and ask them.
  6. extraextra macrumors 68000

Jun 29, 2006
    There are like 3 stores in LA, I would think one of them would carry refurbs..
  7. looklost macrumors regular

Apr 12, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I believe you can purchase a refurb online or by phone and have it shipped to an Apple store, but this might of changed.
  8. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    As far as I know student discounts do not apply to refurbs, correct?

How about "refreshed" models, as you said, purchased from the retail Apple store?
  9. kgarchar macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2006