Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IpadMania

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
Does this thread also involve when to buy and sell apple stock?

-2% yesterday
-4.05% togay

Apple in the toilet.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Is there any question you have? Or is the "toilet" remark just an astute, but badly worded, observation?

Apple stock rises and falls, Apple hardly has influence on it, those stock exchange guys have.

And sadly the profits Apple does make do have not much to do with their stock, as Apple makes a ton of it but is hardly reflected.

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
Does this thread also involve when to buy and sell apple stock?

-2% yesterday
-4.05% togay

Apple in the toilet.

The key to stocks has nothing to do with such minimal rises or drops in price. "The toilet" is not defined by a 6% cumulative drop in value. If Apple is a company whose future prospects you have strong faith in, the price drop means the stock is on sale for 6% off in the last 2 days. The last couple months have been outstanding times to buy. Price drops in stock value for strong companies are nothing more than buy opportunities for long-term holds unless something economically or otherwise changes that may make holding the stocks a bad idea (large lawsuits, poor products introduced, large financial losses, etc.).

Every time the market takes a nose dive is an excellent time to buy. People see the market topping out above 15,000 and all of a sudden want to get in on the ride. That's probably the worst time to ever buy stocks unless one you are particularly interested in is selling for a perceived value.

If someone told me my favorite stock dropped a good percentage and their future looked bright, I'd be all over buying its stock. "In the toilet" for Google, Apple, Exxon Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, etc. would be good timing for buying in, not running in fear. Conversely, if the price drop were on a shaky company with poor financials and little future outlook for growth and value, that's when you worry and get out if the future looks really weak long-term.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
To add to smdbill’s excellent commentary, fluctuations like this are often the result of short term buying and selling. Those of us in the buy and hold camp buy when we think price is right and hold until we're ready to sell. I bought some Apple stock recently because I thought it was near a bottom. Maybe I missed the actual bottom by a few dollars but I think it will increase greatly over the next year or two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.