buying today! powerbook g5 or not?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kwajo.com, May 13, 2004.

1. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

buying today! here are my options:

1.5 GHz 15" powerbook, with single DIMM 512, 128 video ram, 5400rpm HD & combo drive

dual 1.8 G5, stock 512 ram, ati 9600, combo drive all attached to my two year old 17" dell CRT monitor

1.6 G5, 512 ram, combo drive & a new base stock config eMac

the thing is i'm getting a new system to pass on my powerbook to my father and i'm not sure how hard it will be to give up having a laptop. i need the performance of the G5 for FCP & web dev. though, and i have concerns over how mad i'll be when the new G5s get released when they do (i have a feeling right after i buy mine :eek: )

the third option is for a reduced G5 so i can keep my powerbook and give my father an emac :p in case you were wondering ....

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Not knowing the specifics of what you're using it for, I would say that if you intend on doing serious video editing, get a the dual 1.8 G5. Power is probably more important than portability for that kind of situation.

3. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

and I will say the exact opposite.

I will never own another desktop. Laptops can do whatever you need.. and portability is soooo nice especially if you have wireless networks to hop onto and travel at all.

you know your lifestyle and habits..

4. kwajo.com thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

yeah i knew that woul come up. i'm a student, but i do web dev. for my site, ministersface.com and find myself doing more and more video editing lately. doing FCP on my 1 GHz pbook was adequate i would say, but it would be very productive to see more speed. but i'd still say 60 % of the time i'm just doing standard web , email, ilife app, IM and that sort of thing. like someone brought up, is it hard to leave the world of laptops? anyone done this recently? the freedom would all of a sudden be gone, and i'd be tied down (lol i sound like i'm getting married or seomthing :p )

5. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

the loss of portability is TERRIBLE!! don't do it, you'll soon regret it. Or get the 1.6 and keep your laptop, give your dad the eMac. You don't need 64 bit for anything your doing, but the improved architechture will give you peace of mind as well as last you longer.

i love laptops tho.

6. Datazoid macrumors regular

Since you are looking at a G5, (and if you hadn't considered this already) here are a couple more options:

Refurbished 1.8 SINGLE G5 Tower (stock): $1599
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    If you sign up as a Student Developer you can get:

1.8 DUAL G5 Tower + 9600: $2039 + $99 Student Developer subscription ($205 savings)

or

1.6 G5 Tower: $1299+$99 Student Developer ($200 savings)
    20" Cinema Display: $1039 ($130 savings) (maybe)

or
    15" PB + 128 MB GRFX: $2039 + 99 SD ($205 savings)

or
    17" PB + 128MB GRFX: $2279 + 99SD($265 savings)
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Also, you can usually get eMacs refurbed from Apple for $599 and up (sometimes as low as $529), although right now they seem to be out. That's how we got my wife's, actually, it was just too good of a deal to pass up (although the week after we got it, they came out with the new ones...figures...:p . The student developer thing is really a great deal though, especially when getting high-end hardware. You can only get one computer (per lifetime) using the student developer subscription, even if you renew next year (which you don't have to).

7. kwajo.com thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

interestingly I already am one :D

8. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Whilst I'm a Windows user (but almost on the verve of switching) I used to be a laptop only guy... in that I've only bought laptops for several years...
    18 months ago - I bit the bullet and bought a PC. Whilst the larger screen is good, the wireless keyboard and mouse are nice... amazing speakers... and being able to pack more into it as I have upgraded it...

I miss the portability...
    whether it is at home, around my city, but mostly when I travel...
    I do normally take a work laptop - but on a recent work trip I had to take my old laptop - and hated it!

Thus this constant niggle of me looking at Powerbooks is back!
    Next computer purchase I am most likely to go back to a laptop...
    and am now trying to do my homework - find website and forums - to determine whether I will attempt a switch - or buy a new Windows based laptop.

9. Ozi macrumors regular

Ozi

DONT DO IT, MAN!

dont even consider a windows laptop until you go into the Canberra Apple Centre.
    Applecentre Canberra City,Cnr Barry Drive & North Road, Acton, 2601
    tel: 02 6257 0808

Get in there (after fighting your way through the politians) and play with a powerbook. Also, play with Mac OS X running on said pBook, and tell me you sould ever go back to XP boringness?

Please... If I have to fly up to Canberra to make you get a pBook, I will! :D

~ozi

10. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

LOL Your enthusiasm is GREAT!
    An IT (software developer) actually recently bought a dual G5 - and WOW!
    I can't afford all that... I can't even afford a new laptop...
    but I've been drewling over the Powerbooks since I bought my iPOD in Oct...

sigh - am hoping to speak to a few people I know who are Mac users...
    still have two other IT mates actively campaigning to keep me away from Mac - but I'm taking the middle road... open to ideas, keen to look, oh yeah and in desperate need of a new TOY!

So do I wait for the G5 Powerbooks though?

11. Ozi macrumors regular

Ozi

LOL no probs mate.

Im just trying to help a fellow Australian! :p

G5 powerbooks aren't likely this year, probably start of next year. And even then its in doubt: IBM are having supply and QC problems with their G5 chips they are making... :eek:

Maybe you should look at an iBook then... they are still very competent computers, and more rugged than a pBook (so good for your commuting through the roundabouts of canberra. :D) http://www.apple.com.au/ibook

they will also run OSX like everything else, which is an awesome Operating Sytem. So go have a play with an iBook!

~ozi

12. Mantat macrumors 6502a

My solution would be to get a dual 1.8 and an iBook. Actually, I wish I did this when I bought my PB. Even a used iBook G3 could do the trick. This way, you would be able to work on the station for FCE and when you have to carry a laptop around to show picture, dump your video card / DV disk, surf the web etc, you would be able to use the slow but very durable iBook.

13. Ozi macrumors regular

Ozi

DJY, here is the kind of iBook that would suit you perfectly. Located in sydney, a mere 1.5 hours away from your city, and it will do everything required of it.

It is a strong computer, and well worth the $$$. :) there are even more possibilities here.

~ozi

14. DGFan macrumors 6502a

The PB seems like a better option for a few reasons.

First, it wins the "best value" and "least likely to upset me because new models were released after I bought mine" category. The G5s haven't seen a real price drop since last fall while the PBs were just updated.

Second, I don't think the 1.6 G5 will offer much more speed than the 1.5 PB. It will be faster, but not significantly.

Stats can be found here:
    http://www.barefeats.com/fcp4.html

The dual 1.8 would certainly be significantly faster but you would be giving up everything in terms of portability. So it really comes down to that issue....speed vs portability. Which is more important?

15. Mantat macrumors 6502a

If you want to play with FCE a lot, speed is the most important. Else you will be frustrated on the long run. Also, the G5 allow for more / cheaper storage which is super important when playing with DV.

Finaly, if you can wait until the 18, there are a lot of rumor about possible G5 update due by then.

Good luck!

16. DGFan macrumors 6502a

True.

But with a PB you can do everything you can with the G5 - just slower.
    With a G5 you can't do everything you can with the PB.

So if portability is important - it IS most important. But only the buyer can decide that.

17. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

[Comment about previous thread title removed by moderator.]

Portability is GREAT, but after using a borrowed dual 1.8 G5 for a short time and a Powerbook for over a year now, there are times when I'd rather be chained to the desk for the sheer power of the dual 1.8.

However, for me, there are times when I MUST have my computer with me so I doubt I'll ever be without a laptop now. My next purchase will likely be a Desktop G5 for when I need the power because when you really need it, the Powerbook does cause some waiting.

As said before, it will do everything the Desktop will do, only slower...much slower.

I also agree with the above. The idea situation is probably an iBook with a newer model desktop.

18. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

How fast do you drive?!?!?!??! ;)

never really considered iBooks actually - had only really considered Powerbooks... afterall - if (or when) I do switch - shouldn't I move to the best - with the bigger versatility - best WOW factor - more inputs - bigger hard drive - and faster processors?

don't know I'd ever go back to a 12" laptop...
    even 14" is too small I think... so that leaves the 15" or the 17" and I didn't think there was much of a price difference between them?!

Mmmm but maybe instead of aiming for a 1.5Ghz - there might be some shops around with old stock I could pick up cheaper... mmmm

sigh - hang on a sec - I still haven't decided to actually switch yet... yet...
    Hoping to catch to people over the next week :rolleyes: :D

19. kwajo.com thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

well thanks for all the advice guys, i did decide on the 15" powerbook, although i almost jumped to a 12" at the last minute but that's another story :p ). I got the 1.5 GHz, 128 video ram, the 5400rpm HD and the 1 so-dimm of 512 to which i will add another 512 stick i already have from my old 17" 1GHz. i downgraded to the combo drive cause for the next couple months i'm living with someone with a superdrive that i can burn off if necessary, and when i move out I can buy a cheap internal DVD burner and swap it into the cd-rw firewire case i already own. feeling good about the money saved on that i treated myself by throwing in the m-audio usb midi keyboard to help rekindle my music composition which has been a bit idle for a couple years all in all it seems like a good purchase, i just hope it gets here as soon as possible (*hoping that apple hurries it's developers' orders along* :p )

anyway, do you guys think i made a good call on this one? lemme know, speak now or forever keep your peace. and if there are no convincing arguments then i'll be sure to post some pics and a review as soon as it arrives!

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I will second that. The only reason for me to even look at desktops is the DP G4 or G5 for the best performance.

The other thing would be to get the SuperDrive. I almost bought the combo drive for my PB 12" rev. B; but glad a friend talked me into the SD model.

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Yes, a follow up to my own post. Thought it would better to have another post.

Been wrestling with Photoshop CS performance. Been doing some tests with the activity monitor (memory usage in the Dock) and found out that at least on my PB with 512mb, running certain programs does not release the memory. And that hurts when i do Photoshop.

Not wanting to reboot every-time for my PSCS work, I may be forced to look at a desktop only since for that work it may be cheaper than a notebook. Only for the reason to get beyond 1gb in a PB will cost a mint.

Bummer since it seems like Apple will never upgrade the PM G4. Really need USB 2, and I find the current G5's too noisy.

I mention this as food for thought....

22. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I 100% agree with this! I am so sorry i bought my Powerbook, since on the road all i do is browse and email, but when I'm at my desk I always regret not having a dual processor machine (not to mention a dual processor G5). If you do alot of video, I see this as the best way to go. The iBook G4 can do most of the video stuff, and a G5 would be great for encoding since thats a dual processor task that would scream on a G5.

23. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

So you've gone from a 17" down to a 15"?

Here I am, an "almost switcher" struggling with which to buy...
    12" looked too small... then the 15" looks nice
    but now the prices aren't that much more for a 17" and it has the WOW factor!

HELP

24. abc123 macrumors 6502

if you want a computer that you can pick up and move from location to location but won't need to use in small places like on the tiny tables at uni, in an aeroplane, on your lap etc then go for the 17".
    if you want a truely portable laptop then go for the 15". (well 12" but you don't seem interested in those)

25. Ozi macrumors regular

Ozi

And now you say you want a new one? :rolleyes: So you do have the money now do you? :)

15 inch

• 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM
    • 1.5GHz PowerPC G4 w/ 128MB Graphics Memory
    • 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400rpm
    • SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
    • AirPort Extreme Card
    • Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS
    • 15.2-inch TFT XGA Display

Total inc GST AUD$*4,304.56

17 inch

• 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM
    • 1.5GHz PowerPC G4 w/ 128MB Graphics Memory
    • 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400rpm
    • SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
    • AirPort Extreme Card
    • Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS
    • 17.1-inch TFT XGA Display

Total (inc GST) AUD$*4,651.78

So yeah $347 difference between the two. And the 17 inch has a huge screen with mad resolution.

It just depends on how much portability matters, vs. screen real estate.

~ozi